Saturday 29 January 2011

On My Wishlist #23

This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track!

There's a bit of a ghostly theme this week as I fancy some spooky reading...

Anna Dressed in Blood - Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tor (September 2011)
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story. . . 
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly at hame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay. When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home. And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

This may not be released for a while, but the cover is gorgeous and the storyline seems creepy. It's been popping up around the blogosphere and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

The Thirteenth Chime - Emma Michaels
Publisher: Bokheim Publising (August 2010)

No one knew of its existence until it was removed from the attic upstairs. In a beautiful house that overlooks the sea, an antique clock has the power to change the course of their lives. The power the clock resonates will not only force Destiny and ex-boyfriend David on a journey into the depths of one man's mind long dead, but into the mind of a man filled with hatred and bent on revenge.

With the only clues to the nature of the clock having disappeared into the sea, Destiny and David must retrace the steps the man had taken into the darkness, before they fall prey to the trap he had set in motion over half a century ago. Hatred never dies.


How beautiful is this cover? The story seems intriguing to me and I want to give it a try before the sequel is out later on this year! :)

The Winter Ghosts - Kate Mosse
Publisher: UK - Orion (October 2010)
The Great War took much more than lives. It robbed a generation of friends, lovers and futures. In Freddie Watson's case, it took his beloved brother and, at times, his peace of mind. Unable to cope with his grief, Freddie has spent much of the time since in a sanatorium. In the winter of 1928, still seeking resolution, Freddie is travelling through the French Pyrenees - another region that has seen too much bloodshed over the years. During a snowstorm, his car spins off the mountain road. Shaken, he stumbles into the woods, emerging by a tiny village. There he meets Fabrissa, a beautiful local woman, also mourning a lost generation. Over the course of one night, Fabrissa and Freddie share their stories of remembrance and loss. By the time dawn breaks, he will have stumbled across a tragic mystery that goes back through the centuries. By turns thrilling, poignant and haunting, this is a story of two lives touched by war and transformed by courage.

This seems like a lovely story. I loved Kate Mosse's Sepulchre and found it very haunting so hopefully with a much smaller page count this book will be similar.

So what are you wishing for this week? :)

12 comments:

  1. Anna dressed in Blood sounds very intriguing! :D

    On my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna dressed in blood looks amazing. I've never heard of The Winter Ghosts until now but I'm intrigued.
    I hope you get all of these books soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover for Anna Dressed in blood is amazing! I heart books with beautiful covers. ;-) Thanks for the recommendations, it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hey! I've seen Anna Dressed in Blood and the 13th Crime a lot around the blogosphere!!! I think I might want those too! :) Just hopping by, I'm your newest follower!! Have a great weekend :)

    xo,
    Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great wishlist! They all look great, hope you get your wishes soon and in the meantime, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna Dress in Blood is on my TBR list too - I will probably order it before it's officially published ;) Can't wait. Here's my Wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep.. Anna rocks. I so want that one. 13th Chime also looks good. I haven't heard about the Winter Ghosts. I'll have to see if it is available here! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cover of Anna Dressed in Blood! Same with Thirteenth Crime. I haven't heard about Winter Ghosts yet.

    Lucia iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna Dressed In Blood and Thirteeth Crime on my list too, Hope you can get to read them soon.

    On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the first one sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have ten new wishes. Some of these are Cybils nominations. Come see what I'm wishing for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love the cover to Anna Dressed in Blood. So awesome! And the other two books sound interesting as well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete