Saturday 22 October 2011

On My Wishlist #60

This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week is a bit of zombie in YA theme...
 
The Enemy - Charlie Higson
Publisher: UK - Puffin
They'll chase you. They'll rip you open. They'll feed on you ...When the sickness came, every parent, police officer, politician - every adult - fell ill. The lucky ones died. The others are crazed, confused and hungry. Only children under fourteen remain, and they're fighting to survive. Now there are rumours of a safe place to hide.

One of my friends has been bugging me for ages to try this series - and when I finally got around to looking at it, the idea of adult becoming zombies...? I love it! Now I really want to get my hands on this and probably the rest of the series! :-)

Undead - Kirsty McKay
Publisher: UK - Chicken House
Being new at school bites. But at least it doesn't kill you. Mostly.
Bobby thinks she might well be on the School Trip from Hell. Too bad she's a noob, too bad her classmates don't rate her weirdo accent and too bad that Scotland is having the worst blizzard since the Ice Age. Looks like she's going to be on this school bus for a quite a while; could things get much worse?
Yep. They could.
Inexplicably, her classmates start dying...and then they come back to life again...and what's more, they're very, very hungry. With nowhere to run and no contact with the outside world, Bobby is thrown together with a raggle-taggle group of survivors at a roadside café. There's indie kid drop-out Smitty, the class beauty queen Alice, dweeby Pete and two near useless adults: a half-conscious bus driver and a volatile petrol station attendant. The frenemies struggle to stay alive - through explosions, deadly battles and a breakneck chase through the snowbound wilderness. Somehow they have to make it to safety - and get some answers - no matter what the cost. Can they survive the Undead? And each other?

 I read Jules from The Great, The Good and The Bad review of this a couple of weeks ago and I can't get it out of my mind! It sounds great - plus it's a UK based zombie outbreak so immediately I think of the wonder that was 28 Days Later. Me want! :-)
 
The Dead-Tossed Waves - Carrie Ryan
Publisher: UK - Gollancz
Gabry lives a quiet life, secure in her town next to the sea and behind the Barrier. She's content to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. Home is all she's ever known and, and all she needs for happiness. But life after the Return is never safe and there are threats even the Barrier can't hold back. Gabry's mother thought she left her secrets behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, but, like the dead in their world, secrets don't stay buried. And now, Gabry's world is crumbling.
One night beyond the Barrier . . .
One boy Gabry's known forever and one veiled in mystery . . .
One reckless moment, and half of Gabry's generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry knows only one thing: if she has any hope of a future, she must face the forest of her mother's past.
 
I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth last year and enjoyed it so I would like to see what else was happening in that world.
 
What are you wishing for this week? :-)
 

8 comments:

  1. I wanted to read more from the Forest Teeth series but then I found out that there is another main character, so that felt weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read The Forest of Hands and Teeth series... I'm too scared! I'm afraid I won't be able to handle it because I can be squeamish with some horror. Still, I'm probably going to give it a try, since people are liking it so much.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today. I hope you get all these books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the Dead Tossed Waves is The Dark and Hollow Places (both are awesome!). I think I actually enjoyed the Dead Tossed Waves more then the Hands of Forest and Teeth. Anyways, they are different characters, but you'll notice they're all connected, which helps with the transition. Enjoy!

    Check out what's on My Wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good picks! I still have to read the whole Forest of hand and teeth series. It sound so good.

    Hope you get your wished books soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed The Enemy. There's some serious zombie mayhem in the story. Still have to get the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on wishisting all of those. I love the cover for Dead Tossed Waves. I hadn't seen the UK one. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dead Tossed Waves sounds interesting. I'm wishing for the latest book by Susan Orlean. Please come see what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Undead is amazing! I hie you get your wishes soon!

    ReplyDelete