Saturday 16 October 2010

On My Wishlist #9

This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I keep track! This week, as it's nearly Halloween, the theme is witches...

Grave Witch (Alex Craft 1) - Kalayna Price
Publisher: US Roc (December 2010)
As a grave witch, Alex Craft can speak to the dead - she's even on good terms with Death himself. As a consultant for the police, she's seen a lot of dark magic, but nothing has prepared her for her latest case. When she's raising a 'shade' involved in a high profile murder, it attacks her - and then someone makes an attempt on her life. Someone really doesn't want her to know what the dead have to say, and she'll have to work with mysterious homicide detective Falin Andrews to figure out why.

There's been some great early hype about Grave Witch online and together with a gorgeous cover and an interesting blurb I'm eagerly looking forward to it's release!

Counterfeit Magic - Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: US -Subterranean Press (November 2010)
The first rule of a supernatural fight club? Don't kill your opponent.
When the fighters come with lethal spells, werewolf strength and half-demon powers, that can be a lot tougher than it sounds. It's hard to attract talent if they know they might not leave the ring alive. So when fighters at a California club start dying -- it's bad for business.
Witch detectives Paige Winterbourne and Savannah Levine take the case. Going undercover in the power-heavy arena of the fight club is a welcome change of pace for Paige, relegated to the role of The Wife as her husband struggles to find his place in his family's Cabal--the corporate Mafia of the supernatural world.
As Paige is drawn deeper into new and dangerous corners of her world, she quickly discovers the greatest threat isn't the killer in her sights. It's something much, much closer to home. And this is one fight she can't afford to lose.

I'm a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series and the chance to see Paige Winterbourne in action again, not in short stories or on the periphery of another narrator's story is exciting. Paige is my favourite narrator (much underrated!) and I've missed her so a novella from her point of view would be Christmas come early for me!

Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan 1) - Kim Harrison
Publisher: UK - Voyager (October 2006)
Rachel Morgan is a white witch and runner working for Inderland Security, in an alternate world where a bioengineered virus wiped out a great deal of the world's human population -- exposing the existence of the supernatural communities that had long lived alongside humanity. For the last five years Rachel has been tracking down law-breaking Inderlanders in modern-day Cincinnati, but now she wants to leave and start her own agency. Her only problem is that no one quits the I.S. Marked for death, Rachel will have to fend off fairy assassins and homicidal weres armed with an assortment of nasty curses. She's a dead witch walking unless she can appease her former employers by exposing the city's most prominent citizen as a drug lord. But making an enemy of the ambiguous Trent Kalamack is just as deadly as leaving the I.S.
This is a personal bookfail. I've never read any Kim Harrison books and as there are so many of them now, this could be a whole series to catch up on.

So that's what's on my wishlist this week- what's on yours? :)

4 comments:

  1. My favourite book about witches is Celia Rees' "Witch Child", closely followed by Erika Mailman "The Witch's Trinity". Have you read either of those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Dead Witch Walking on my shelf and the other two sound really good - I love KA too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sam - I haven't read either of them - I guess you would recommend them? :) What are they about?

    @BCC - Kelley got me into Urban Fantasy - I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yea... all these are on my wishlist. Sweet! Hope we both get them all. ;)

    ReplyDelete