Friday, 12 November 2010

Book Blogger Hop #8

The Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy for Books  and is a place just for book bloggers and readers to connect and share our love of the written word! 



"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"

 


If I know it is part of a series, then I will check out the first of the series before reading the book that initially caught my eye. I tend to hate starting in the middle of a series - you tend to miss a lot of character development, even if the best books are later in the series.

 

There have been occasions though when I've read books that are part of a series without reading the first book. One of my favourite series is  the Obernewtyn series by Isobelle Carmody and I actually started reading the series (many years ago! When will the final books come out?!) with the second book, The Farseekers and loved it!


So it can work - perhaps I should try it more often...?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mel

    I am stopping by for the Hop. I am also a new follower. I usually try and start a series with book one but have also occassionally found myself reading books out of sync; including my current read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, hon - happy to be tagging along as a new follower. Love the site! :)

    Sally @ Bibrary Bookslut

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Happy Friday and blogger hop along! Btw, I love my kindle too! Aren't they awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel! I'm a new follower stopping in from the hop!

    I am one of those people who has to read a series in order. I always feel like I'd be missing out on too much if I skip around.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I'm stopping by for the Blog Hop and Follow Friday. I hope you have a great weekend. Happy Reading!

    I'm an old follower.

    Danielle @ Romance Book Junkies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can dive right into the middle of a book series if the series' story
    doesn't run chronologically.

    That is to say, if each novel in a series is a stand-alone story (like Lee
    Child's Reacher novels) then I don't feel the need to start with book one.

    On the other hand, a series of books (like Richard Hatch's Battlestar
    Galactica novels) can't be read out of sequence since each new book builds
    upon the story of the previous entry in the series.

    Happy Book Blogger Hop Friday!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. hopping by!I try to start with book one :)http://blog.juliealindsey.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mel - ooo... what are you reading now?

    Thanks everyone for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete