Wednesday 11 May 2011

Killing Rocks Review

Killing Rocks (Bloodhound Files 3)  
-          D.D. Barant
Publisher: US – St Martins Press
FBI profiler Jace Valchek’s ticket home from the twisted parallel universe where she s been called to duty hinges on the capture of series killer Aristotle Stoker and an alliance with a sorcerer known as Asher. The problem: Asher has joined forces with some of the most dangerous creatures Jace has ever encountered. The solution: There is none, without Asher’s help. Jace’s goal seems simple enough to get her man, like always. But just hours after she arrives in Vegas, she’s abducted... and she isn’t even sure who the real enemy is. Now Jace has to wonder if she’s the predator or the prey in a very dangerous game that could change not only her fate, but the world’s... Meanwhile, a serial killer is still on the loose. And time has already run out...
I really enjoyed the first two books in the Bloodhound series – Dying Bites and Death Blows which follow Jace a profiler who was dragged out of our world and into an alternatative Earth where humans only make up 1% of the population with the rest a combination of Vampires, Werewolves and Golems.  Mental illness is unknown in this world so Jace was pulled across in order to profile and help capture a rogue human criminal. Three books on and Jace is still chasing Stoker, but this time the sorcerer who dragged her to this world has something sinister planned for Las Vegas...
There is so much action and adventure here as the world Jace has been dragged into, undergoes a massive change. Jace finds herself continually on the run and struggling to take charge without knowing what was going. While the action is non-stop and fantastic, I missed some of the take chargeness that Jace has shown in other books – she’s never been someone who lets rules or anyone stop her, but so much happens so fast that that initiative doesn’t come through as much. That said (or written!), there is still much to love here – the snarky humour of Jace, her relationship with her partner Charlie and her boss. Some pleasing cameos from previous characters and a great new character is introduced in the form of the Astonisher, Azura – a woman equal to Jace in many ways.
This is a great addition to the Urban Fantasy genre which barely pauses for breath and races across Las Vegas and between worlds with plenty of fun asides and some really emotional development. Jace is a great character to spend time with and I’d love to have a drink with her – I think we could really paint the town red! I hope I don’t have to wait too long for the next book in this series. J
Recommended for fans of Jennifer Estep and Jaye Wells. 8 out of 10

4 comments:

  1. Hm...Estep was a miss for me, and Wells, did read a short story that was a miss for me..so perhaps this book is a miss for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like one I'd enjoy. You had me at snarky humor. ;) However, I will TRY to start with #1... lol

    @Blodeuedd... you need to read further in the Estep Assassin books... I think you'll like it especially when Owen shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all a new series to me. And sounds like a great one! One I think I would really enjoy. :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another new to me series. Will I ever catch up? Sounds like the world building in this series is great and one I'd find myself feeling right at home with since I love vampires. And I'd love to join you and Jace for a drink. ;)

    ReplyDelete