Friday 18 January 2013

Crimson Frost Review

Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy #4)
Jennifer Estep

Publisher: Kensington

E-Arc courtesy of Netgalley and Kensington

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming. I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself...

After the tense ending of Dark Frost, with the release of evil god Loki, it felt like a long wait for Crimson Frost when we could catch up with Gwen, Logan and the other students at Mythos Academy. But it was worth the wait with the stakes raised once again when Gwen is put on trial for releasing Loki by the Protectorate which is lead by none-other than Logan’s father. While under house arrest, Gwen will have to figure out the Reapers evil plans are while trying to convince the good guys that she’s on their side!

From the first page the plot picks up and never lets up as Gwen and friends find themselves having to explain their actions so far in the series and fight to be taken seriously. It was tense and exciting with Gwen shocked and surprised. It felt like Gwen has continued to develop and grow with her accepting her responsibilities and deciding to take action. I have to admit I was the edge of my train seat for most of the book. Gwen’s relationship with Logan has finally moved forward and I loved the way Gwen’s friends stuck by her even though everyone else seems to turn on her – Carson, Daphne, Logan and Oliver are all characters I would love to count among my own friends! Plus bonus points for making Grandma Frost kick-ass this time round!

The Reaper threat has become more real as the books progressed and there is no shying away from the threat that Gwen and friends are in – although they do seem to be very lucky whenever they are attacked as Reapers seem pretty incompetent fighters compared to these students! Overall, Crimson Frost really drives the overall arc of the series forward and is one exciting read. Fast-paced, tense and with great characters, Mythos Academy series is a must have, with this instalment one of the best so far.

Recommended for fans of Richelle Mead and Chloe Neill. 9 out of 10

4 comments:

  1. I loved this one as well, can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good!! I'm nervous about them finally having the show-down with Loki. I hope she doesn't end up breaking my heart with that one. She already has with the pup's mom. Love those characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want purple eyes, that is all I can think, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness!! I just won this one from Melissa(B&T) and need to start this series. Sounds amazing. :D THank you!

    ReplyDelete