Tuesday 15 January 2013

Sealed With A Curse Review

Sealed With A Curse (Weird Girls #1)
Cecy Robson

Publisher: Signet Eclipse

E-Arc courtesy of Netgalley and Signet Eclipse

Celia Wird and her three sisters are just like other twenty-something girls—with one tiny exception: They're the products of a curse that backfired and gave each of them unique powers that make them, well, a little weird…
The Wird sisters are content to avoid the local vampires, werebeasts, and witches of the Lake Tahoe region—until one of them blows up a vampire in self-defense. Everyone knows vampires aren't aggressive, and killing one is punishable by death. But soon more bloodlust-fueled attacks occur, and the community wonders if the vampires of Tahoe are plague-ridden. Celia reluctantly agrees to help Misha, the handsome leader of an infected vampire family. But Aric, the head of the werewolf pack determined to destroy Misha's family to keep the area safe, warns Celia to stay out of the fight. Caught between two hot alphas, Celia must find a way to please everyone, save everyone, and—oh, yeah—not lose her heart to the wrong guy or die a miserable death. Because now that the evil behind the plague knows who Celia is, he's coming for her and her sisters. 
This Wird girl has never had it so tough.

I’m in trouble. I had an idea that in 2013 I wasn’t going to buy any books that weren’t in series I was already reading or authors I already love – I have enough books in my TBR pile to give me plenty of new to me authors to keep me happy all year. Then I picked this up at Netgalley and it’s exactly the reason why I take a chance on debut authors! This was a blast to read – fast paced, exciting and some great romantic tension that felt natural.

Celia Wird and her sisters are different. They have certain abilities and powers that makes them stand out even in the supernatural world that they have just been pulled into. Celia is a Tigeress with the ability to shift through the ground as well. She is also the oldest and a fierce protector of her younger siblings. In fact the relationship all the sisters share is strong and unbreakable – they would do anything for each other. Although I do think they all underestimate Emme, the youngest. There is a shared history between them which is only hinted at and it intrigues me.

Finding themselves involved with vampires infected with bloodlust, the Wird girls also run into the local werewolves. Celia finds herself forming an instant connection with their leader, Aric. I don’t usually like the instant attraction plot as it is overused in a lot of stories but Cecy Robson makes it feel fresh with neither Celia or Aric loosing what makes them strong individuals even as they grow close. The other sisters also find some hot wolves and I would love to know more about their relationships as well.

As well as strong relationships between the sisters and the wolves, there are some fabulous action scenes with the sisters holding nothing back. There were some great set-pieces that had me breathless and not able to read fast enough – I would love to see some of them on the big screen! Overall this was a exciting and thrilling adventure and introduction to the world

Recommended for fans of Karen Chance and Amanda Carlson. 9 out of 10. 

8 comments:

  1. Oooh I want this now. I wonder if it still on Netgalley. *rushes off to find out*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! 9 out of 10! I'm so glad my sister in law ordered this book for me :) It just takes ages to arrive unfortunately, otherwise I would have read it already, because I've been hearing good things about Cecy Robson. Great review, sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one as well, I really loved it too! it's a nice series and I'm so curious to read the second one now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this debut! Looking forward to learning more about the sisters' curse & Celia's lve life LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you for this amazing review, Miss Mel--and to Braine for making me aware of it. I appreciate everyone's kind comments and wish you all a wonderful 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah man! Another great review of this book. Looks like you'll be getting me into another series. Yes, love finding debut authors like this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness, I loved this one too! And I was thinking the same thing as you with 2013, but it's not holding for me yet. lol. WONDERFUL review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol good luck! ;) You and me both. I do want those finish those I have and then something good always shows up

    ReplyDelete