Tuesday 28 April 2009

Magic Strikes Review


Magic Strikes (Book 3 of Kate Daniels/Magic Series)
- Ilona Andrews


Publisher:
US – Ace Fantasy

Why I picked it up: I was intrigued with the first 2 books so I’m continuing to follow Kate Daniels adventures.

Back Blurb:
Drafted to work for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems these days than she knows what to do with. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that’s saying a lot. But when Kate’s werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games – an invitation only, no hold barred, ultimate preternatural fighting tournament – she and Curran, the Beast Lord, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta’s shape shifting community...

What I thought: In the past two books Kate Daniels has dropped hints and hidden from her past, who her father was and what she was born for. This book starts to answer these questions while giving a completely self-contained story and continuing to set the scene. I loved that Kate’s relationship with the Pack, particularly its leader – their relationship is one of the best love/hate relationships I’ve read about and I’m glad to see them both growing closer here – while still continuing to fight and bicker. While the main story here – about an underground fight club style competition isn’t my usual sort of thing (I never understand why every long running American SF series always has a boxing/wrestling episode – if it’s left to run long enough! I’m just not a boxing fan and I find these episodes boring to watch.), but here the fight scenes are done well – tense and exciting. I love than Ilona Andrews can cram a lot of story into a short number of pages without compromising the world building. And this world is different from other urban fantasy world. There are periods when Magic rules the world and the ‘Tech’ hits and it’s all electricity and science in control again. This makes it hard for anyone to make any long term arrangements and makes the world stand out from others. I very enjoyable read.

Recommended for: Fan’s of Patricia Briggs and Jennifer Rardin

Rating: 7.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment