Monday 6 April 2009

Magic To The Bone Review


Magic to the Bone
- Devon Monk


Publisher: US - ROC

Why I picked it up: It was one of the recommendations Amazon had for me based on my past purchases. Thought I’d give it a go as the back sounded interesting and it was cheaper than some other books I was looking at!

Back Blurb:
Using magic means it uses you back - and every spell exacts a price from the user. Some people, however, get out of it by Offloading the cost of magic onto an innocent, then Allison Beckstrom's job is to identify the spell-caster. Allie would rather live a hand-to-mouth existence than accept the family fortune and the strings that come with it, but when she finds a boy dying from a magical Offload that has her father's signature all over it she is thrown back into the world of his black magic.

What I thought: I like the premised that magic use isn’t free – you use magic and you could end up with a migraine, sore throat, stomach aches of memory loss. And with magic being freely available for anyone to use the world Devon sets up has possibilities. However, I didn’t quite take to the main character Allie. She spends a lot of this book reacting to things and not necessarily sensible (Heading to a clients to spend the night because her apartment smelled?)I didn’t feel she drove the action much – indeed after the confrontation with her father near the start of the book she doesn’t really initiate any further actions, just spends her time being chased and running away. Having said that the ride was enjoyable – I liked the love interest and how he remains as much of a mystery at the end as he did at the beginning. In fact he’s even more mysterious and intriguing. The best friend, Nola was also good and I would have liked more on her. Overall, the book was a good introduction to the world and I think I will be looking out for the sequel ‘Magic in the Blood’...but I probably won’t rush out for it.

Recommended for: Fans of Carrie Vaughan’s Kitty series and Ilona Andrews’s Kate Daniels books should enjoy this.

Rating: 6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment