Thursday 27 January 2011

Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Sausages: Early Review

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages
-       Tom Holt
Publisher: UK - Orbit Books – Released 2nd February 2011
I recieved an e-Arc via netgalley & Hachette Books
Polly is a real estate solicitor. She is also losing her mind. Someone keeps drinking her coffee. And talking to her clients. And doing her job. And when she goes to the dry cleaner's to pick up her dress for the party, it's not there. Not the dress - the dry cleaner's.
And then there are the chickens who think they are people. Something strange is definitely going on - and it's going to take more than a magical ring to sort it out.
All those little annoyances when working in an office – coffee disappearing, people swearing they’d spoken to you earlier when you know they haven’t - have a perfectly logical explanation which Tom Holt explores in his latest novel. Polly, a real estate solicitor and her musician brother get caught up in events that don’t seem to make any sense but are somehow fascinating, amusing and relatable. Regular people are put into odd positions and then there are the chickens who think they are people...or are they people who think they are chickens...? Somehow Tom Holt manages to put the ordinary in extra-ordinary and keeps the plot humming along with amusing scenes and a central mystery that I just had to know what was happening.
The last Tom Holt book I read (May Contain Traces of Magic) didn’t click with me but right from the first page of Life, I wanted to know what happened next and how all the various strands would come together. This is Tom Holt very much on top of his game telling a very British story. I’m never sure how well this type of humour translates but by the end I was sorry to have finished as I had been entertained by a coherent and fascinating story. If you like a little humour in your trans-dimensional mysteries then this is the book for you.
Recommended for fans of Terry Prachett and Robert Rankin. 8.5 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. I've got that book waiting on NetGalley too, and it looks quite good. I might just have to bump it up a few spots on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I might have to give this one a try. Love the title too. :) GLad you liked it. I love it when a book leaves you wanting more!

    ReplyDelete