Thursday 18 October 2012

Throwback Thursday #67 - The Stepsister Scheme


This is a great feature that Melissa at My World...in words and pictures has been doing for a while and I wanted to jump on board! There are plenty of books out there I desperately want...

But what about all those wonderful books that are ALREADY on my shelves?

The Stepsister Scheme - Jim C Hines
You know how all those old fairy tales take you through lots of scary adventures till you finally reach that inevitable line: "And they lived happily ever after..." Guess what? It's not true. Life in never-never land isn't all sweetness and light. Cinderella - whose real name is Danielle Whiteshore (nee Danielle de Glas) - does marry Prince Armand. And (if you can ignore the pigeon incident) their wedding is a dream-come-true. But not long after the "happily ever after," Danielle is attacked by her stepsister Charlotte, who suddenly has all sorts of magic to call upon. And though Talia - otherwise known as Sleeping Beauty - comes to the rescue (she's a martial arts master, and all those fairy blessings make her almost unbeatable), Charlotte gets away. 
That's when Danielle discovers a number of disturbing facts: Armand has been kidnapped and taken to the realm of the Fairies; Danielle is pregnant with his child; and the Queen has her very own Secret Service that consists of Talia and Snow (White, of course). Snow is an expert at mirror magic and heavy-duty flirting. Can three princesses track down Armand and extract both the prince and themselves from the clutches of some of fantasyland's most nefarious villains?

This just looks like a lot of fun. Everyone grows up listening to fairy tales but putting a twist on the tales and seeing what happens to the heroines after they meet their Prince Charmings - I am more than curious! Yet this book has languished on my TBR pile for far too long!

So what was your favourite fairy tale? I always like the Gingerbread Man - maybe that's the reason I love traveling so much! 

5 comments:

  1. I love Hines' Goblin series. I got this one on my shelf as well, but can't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does look like fun. You mention the Gingerbread man and I think of THIS. LOL

    My fave? Beauty and the Beast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read it!!!!! It sounds like a hoot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this one on my wishlist too, Mel! The author is really funny, you should read his blog :) I reckon it will be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds good. And I recognize the authors name. I know that name but to a different series. Hmm, I'll have to go look at it. :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete