Saturday 26 February 2011

On My Wishlist #27

This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week I have a historical theme...

Lily of the Nile - Stephanie Dray
Publisher: Berkley Publishing (January 2011)
With her parent dead, the daughter of Cleopatra and Mark Antony is left at the mercy of her Roman captors. Heir to one empire and prisoner of another, it falls to Princess Selene to save her brothers and reclaim what is rightfully hers...
In the aftermath of Alexandria's tragic fall, Princess Selene is taken from Egypt, the only home she's only known. Along with her two surviving brothers, she's put on display as a war trophy in Rome. Selene's captors mock her royalty and drag her through the streets in chains, but to the brink of death, the children are spared as a favor to the emperor's sister, who takes them to live hostages in the so-called lamentable embassy of royal orphans...
Now trapped in a Roman court of intrigue that reviles her heritage and suspects her faith, Selene can’t hide the hieroglyphics that carve themselves into her flesh. Nor can she stop the emperor from using her for his own political ends. But faced with a new and ruthless Caesar who is obsessed with having a Cleopatra of his very own, Selene is determined honor her mother’s lost legacy. The magic of Egypt and Isis remain within her. But can she succeed where her mother failed? And what will it cost her in a political game where the only rule is win or die?

I love books based in Egypt - I have a fascination with the country and history. This book looks great with the focus on the aftermath of one of the most notorious love affairs in history.

A Spy In The House (The Agency) - Y.S. Lee
Publisher: Candlwick Press
Orphan Mary Quinn lives on the edge. Sentenced as a thief at the age of twelve, she’s rescued from the gallows by a woman posing as a prison warden. In her new home, Miss Scrimshaw’s Academy for Girls, Mary acquires a singular education, fine manners, and surprising opportunity. The school is a cover for the Agency – an elite, top-secret corps of female investigators with a reputation for results – and at seventeen, Mary’s about to join their ranks.
With London all but paralyzed by a noxious heat wave, Mary must work fast in the guise of lady’s companion to infiltrate a rich merchant’s home with hopes of tracing his missing cargo ships. But the Thorold household is full of dangerous secrets, and people are not what they seem – least of all Mary.

This seems like such fun!

The Confessions of Catherine De Medici - C.W. Gortner
Publisher: Hodder Paperback
I was ten years old when I discovered I might be a witch...
The sixteenth century: the era of queens. Catherine de Medici is an impressionable, mystical girl. She is orphaned and taken hostage by her enemies, and manipulated by her advisors; yet she is to become France's most powerful regent.
History will make her name synonymous with evil, but she is all too human. Humiliated at the hands of her husband and his mistress, and haunted by her gift of second sight, she must rise above her troubles and fight to save her dynasty and adopted country from the brutal Wars of Religion...


I love a historical novel and reading one based on Catherine De Medici will be a nice change from the usual Tudor court.

So what are you wishing for this week? :)

6 comments:

  1. I've heard of the lily of the Nile. :D Hope you get these books. Happy Reading!

    On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of good things about Lily of the Nile. I kind of want a copy too, so I'm hoping it's as good as I hear.

    A Spy in the House is definitely a good novel. Good enough that I certainly want the sequel, anyway! I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Agency is a new one I haven't heard of and I simply love the kings and queens books like Boleyn saga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have four wishlist books at home right now to read. Come see what I'm wishing for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes.. the first 2 are on mine. Haven't heard of the 3rd. Will check that one out. Oh man... I know what you mean by having so many on the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the first two on my shelves, and still haven't read them. I'm really looking forward to Lily of the Nile!
    I have four books on my list this week, but I could hardly say which one I'm the most wishing for!

    ReplyDelete