Friday 25 February 2011

Remember Me Review

Remember Me
-          Christopher Pike
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton.
First Published in US in 1989.
Shari just stepped onto the balcony for some fresh air, she didn’t mean to fall. Whilst her friends assume it was suicide, she knows otherwise, and now her restless spirit must find the real killer by any means possible. She'll need the help of those she left behind and the only way to reach them now is via the ouija board, but someone or something else seems to want to communicate with her friends too with horrifying intent.
Remember Me was one of my favourite books as a teenager. I think I received this book as a gift from my Gran when she visited Canada to try and get me away from the Sweet Valley High books I was hooked on at the time. It was the first Christopher Pike book I ever read and I loved the characters, the story and thought it was the most original story I had ever read.
Reading it again after all these years was like reading two books at once. Part of me was reading and enjoying the book I loved when I was a teen – I loved the idea of being able to spy on your friends, discover your murderer and even flying with the boy you like. It still had the adventure and excitement I loved. I enjoyed the twists and turns of the story as well as the writing, which still flowed and galloped by.
However, at the same time I was looking at the book with an adult eye and thought that some of the characters seemed a little underdeveloped and stereotypical. No one character jumped out as being truly original. Plus the story happened rather conveniently. I can usually suspend disbelief but for some reason I missed the lack of red herrings and thought it was a rather straight forward read. Overall, though I did enjoy the experience – although I think part of that was nostalgia. It’s really difficult to be objective about a book I loved so much and still enjoyed reading. Great fun!    
Recommended for fans of Diane Hoh and Caroline B Cooney. 7 out of 10.
The Book Vixen's YA of the 80s and 90s Reading Challenge Book 5/12
YA of the 80s and 90s Reading Challenge

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to do this. I don't think I've gone back to my favorite books when I was a kid. The cover to this one looks creepy, but it doesn't sound that creepy. Hm... good choice!

    ReplyDelete