Friday 15 October 2010

Book Blogger Hop #4

The Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy for Books  and is a place just for book bloggers and readers to connect and share our love of the written word! 

This weeks question: "When you read a book that you just can't get into, do you stick it out and keep reading or move to your next title?"

Hmm, good question! I really hate to give up a book because I have a fear that I'll remember the start of the book in a few years time and would want to know how it ends! Also I'm stubborn and I hate a book to defeat me. Most of the books I read are ones I've bought myself so in order to feel like I've got my money's worth. However, recently I have found a couple of books that I just can't finish (I won't name names!). I can finish bad books if I find the writing easy enough in the hope that the book will have a surprise ending. However, I can't force myself to finish a book where the writing and I just don't gel. If I can't slip into the reading, then I can't finish the book.

So do you finish all books you start?

7 comments:

  1. I finish most of the books I start. Sometimes it's a book I'm just not in the mood for (note to self: do not read Gene Wolfe after working a double shift!!), and I'll pick it up again a few days or a week later and like it just fine.

    other times, the book and me don't gel (i love your phrase, and I'm stealing it!), or maybe the book is pure crap. in that case, it gets taken back to the library, traded in at the used bookstore, or thrown in the garbage. I get a ton of stuff from the library, so I don't feel bad about not finishing that stuff. Only the last year or so have I been really purchasing a good quantity of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping by :)
    Yes I finish - mainly out of gulit LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mel! Thanks for hopping by my blog. You've have a really good blog here. Kim Harrison and Kelly Armstrong are some of my favorite authors! I'm looking forward to reading your stuff. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog - I followed you back to yours. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by for the Hop! I'm a new follower! Hope you're having a great weekend :)

    Angela
    Touch the Night

    ReplyDelete
  6. come visit us - you'll love dead witch walking it's a great series!!!

    www.seducedbybooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please name names! I'd love to know what you couldn't finish, it will help me avoid bad stuff!

    Check out my Blog Hop and Follow Friday HERE!

    ReplyDelete