Monday 11 October 2010

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner Review

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner
-          Stephanie Meyer
Publisher: UK –Atom
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is the riveting story of Bree Tanner, a vampire first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the world she inhabits. The novella chronicles the journey of members of the newborn vampire army from their preparations to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullen family to its unforgettable conclusion.
I have to admit to having read all four Twilight books and finding mildly diverting. The first one, Twilight especially reminded me of the Vampire Diaries that I read as a teen and I merely thought it was an update of the same type of story – although with a wimpier female lead and less charismatic vampire. As you might be able to tell I’m not a massive Twilight fan which is why I didn’t rush out to buy this book but borrowed it from a friend.
This short novella is based on a character that is seen briefly in Eclipse, the third Twilight book – a character that I didn‘t really remember when the fuss over a ‘new’ twilight book was in full force, such was her impact on me originally. In Eclipse, Bree is only a short scene at the end, more for an explanation over what had happened off-screen, than a character in her own right. SO I was pleasantly surprised to find Bree a more engaging lead than I was expecting – I especially liked her development throughout from a near mindless blood lust vamp to a person willing to risk her own life to go after someone she cares about. Some of the other vampires are very intriguing – Fred especially has an interesting power and I like the way he learned to use it, while Diego seemed to be the most ‘human’ and Bree’s interaction with both is the driving force behind her character ‘coming of age’ by the end of the novel.
However, I’m not sure if you haven’t already read Eclipse if this novella will make sense – I’m reading from an aspect of knowing why the vampires are after their enemies but if you didn’t I suspect the story raises more questions than it answers. Bree certainly find out the whole truth by the end.
Taken on its own, Bree Tanner is diverting enough vampire story with some interesting thoughts on a newborn’s life and the continuing impact a maker has such newborns. I’m not sure if it adds much to the Twilight story but it was pleasantly diverting few hours. I’m glad I didn’t pay for the book but was able to read it as borrowed book – not sure it’s worth the hardback price.
A must for Twilight fans I suppose and interesting for those who hate Bella & Edward – just to see what else Stephanie Meyer is capable of writing. 6 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. Stopping over from Book Blogs...Post a link to your blog here.

    Stop by my blog if you like.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete