Friday 3 February 2012

At The House Of The Magician Review

At The House Of The Magician
-          Mary Hooper
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Poor runaway during the Elizabethan period, Lucy does not have many options. Her luck finally turns when she is taken on as a maid in the household of Dr. Dee, court magician to Queen Elizabeth I. The household is strange and sinister, and Lucy has a nose for intrigue. So when she stumbled across a plot to assassinate the queen, Lucy must find means to warn her . . . before it's too late.
Escaping from her abusive Father, Lucy manages to find employment as a nursemaid at the house of Dr Dee – mystic and confidant to Elizabeth I. But is Dr Dee truly mystical or is just a clever fake?
I am a recent convert to Mary Hooper’s writing, but once again she has sucked me into the Elizabethan era. She has such a skill that with minimal words she re-created the past complete with sights, sounds and smells. The people come to life, each one feels like a real person with their own habits and thoughts. The Tudor period is a favourite period of mine – and the setting in Richmond and Mortlake is familiar to me made it all feel like a comfy chair that I was settling into again – and I could have stayed a lot longer than 240 pages!
Lucy is an engaging character and I loved her devotion to the Queen and her mother. Her slow discovery of what lies beyond the normal world is intriguing and while I would have liked to know more of the magic and ghosts, there is definitely an element that can be explored in the future for Lucy. I would have liked to know more about Tomas as well!
Overall this was a great a read where the major disappointment was how quickly I sped through the pages.
Recommend for fans of Sophie McKenzie and Jennifer Donnelly. 8 out of 10

4 comments:

  1. Lol, it the only disappointment is how fast you sped through the book then it must be good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a lovely review, Mel. There are two more books in the series...hope you go on to enjoy those, too.
      Love from Mary Hooper xx

      Delete
  2. Mel, you have single-handedly made me want to read Mary Hooper. I think I'll start with At The Sign Of The Sugared Plum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love historical fiction and this looks like something I would really like. I just finished Rebel Wife (another great historical) for a tour stop tomorrow. Thanks for your review.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete