Thursday 23 February 2012

Throwback Thursday #43 - The Crying Tree

This is a great feature that Melissa at My World...in words and pictures has been doing for a while and I wanted to jump on board! There are plenty of books out there I desperately want...

But what about all those wonderful books that are ALREADY on my shelves?
 
The Crying Tree - Naseem Rakha
Irene and Nate Stanley are living a quiet and contented life with their two children, Bliss and Shep, on their family farm in southern Illinois when Nate suddenly announces he’s been offered a job as a deputy sheriff in Oregon. Irene fights her husband. She does not want to uproot her family and has deep misgivings about the move. Nevertheless, the family leaves, and they are just settling into their life in Oregon’s high desert when the unthinkable happens. Fifteen-year-old Shep is shot and killed during an apparent robbery in their home. The murderer, a young mechanic with a history of assault, robbery, and drug-related offenses, is caught and sentenced to death. Shep’s murder sends the Stanley family into a tailspin, with each member attempting to cope with the tragedy in his or her own way. Irene’s approach is to live, week after week, waiting for Daniel Robbin’s execution and the justice she feels she and her family deserve. Those weeks turn into months and then years. Ultimately, faced with a growing sense that Robbin’s death will not stop her pain, Irene takes the extraordinary and clandestine step of reaching out to her son’s killer. The two forge an unlikely connection that remains a secret from her family and friends.
Years later, Irene receives the notice that she had craved for so long—Daniel Robbin has stopped his appeals and will be executed within a month. This announcement shakes the very core of the Stanley family. Irene, it turns out, isn’t the only one with a shocking secret to hide. As the execution date nears, the Stanleys must face difficult truths and find a way to come to terms with the past.
 
Argh! A friend lent me this book before Christmas after her book group had read it and loved it. Usually I read borrowed books as soon as possible so I can give them back (and it annoys me when people borrow my books for too long!). However, this books looks really heavy going and I haven't felt like picking up a book that emotional just yet...I am hoping to get it read before Easter though!
 
What about you guys? Do you have any borrowed books you haven't read yet? (And library ones don't count!)
 

2 comments:

  1. I have not read this one yet...oh wait *headdesk* Borrowed books! I am yet to pick up a book from a buddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this sounds like an intense book. I'm going to have to check out this one.

    I currently don't have any borrowed books on my tbr.

    ReplyDelete