Saturday 7 April 2012

On My Wishlist #81

This is a meme from Cosy Books. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week my choices are some of my favourite authors new books...

The Wind Through The Keyhole - Stephen King
Publisher:UK - Hodder & Stoughton (April 2012)
This Russian Doll of a novel, a story within a story, within a story, visits Mid-World's last gunslinger, Roland Deschain, and his ka-tet as a ferocious storm halts their progress along the Path of the Beam. (The novel can be placed between Dark Tower IV and Dark Tower V.) Roland tells a tale from his early days as a gunslinger, in the guilt ridden year following his mother's death. Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Magic Tales of the Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime, 'The Wind through the Keyhole'. "A person's never too old for stories," he says to Bill. "Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them." And stories like these, they live for us.

I loved The Dark Tower series by Stephen King which I devoured years ago, so I'm a little nervous about King's return to this epic work. However, there's no way I could miss another visit to mid-world to see how far the world has moved on this time. In fact I might pick up the original books again as I only read them the once...

The Long Earth - Terry Prachett and Stephen King
Publisher: UK - Harper (June 2012)
1916: the Western Front, France. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong, and the wind in the leaves in the trees. Where has the mud, blood and blasted landscape of No man's Land gone?
2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Cop Monica Jansson has returned to the burned-out home of one Willis Linsay, a reclusive and some said mad, others dangerous, scientist. It was arson but, as is often the way, the firemen seem to have caused more damage than the fire itself. Stepping through the wreck of a house, there's no sign of any human remains but on the mantelpiece Monica finds a curious gadget - a box, containing some wiring, a three-way switch and a...potato. It is the prototype of an invention that Linsay called a 'stepper'. An invention he put up on the web for all the world to see, and use, an invention that would to change the way mankind viewed his world Earth for ever. And that's an understatement if ever there was one...
...because the stepper allowed the person using it to step sideways into another America, another Earth, and if you kept on stepping, you kept on entering even more Earths...this is the Long Earth. It's our our Earth but one of chain of parallel worlds, lying side by side each differing from its neighbour by really very little (or actually quite a lot). It's an infinite chain, offering 'steppers' an infinite landscape of infinite possibilities. And the further away you travel, the stranger - and sometimes more dangerous - the Earths get. The sun and moon always shine, the basic laws of physics are the same. However, the chance events which have shaped our particular Earth, such as the dinosaur-killer asteroid impact, might not have happened and things may well have turned out rather differently.
But, until Willis Linsay invented his stepper, only our Earth hosted mankind...or so we thought. Because it turns out there are some people who are natural 'steppers', who don't need his invention and now the great migration has begun
...

I love Terry Prachett and I cut my sci-fi teeth many years ago on Stephen Baxter books so when I heard they were teaming up I couldn't figure out what they would come up with. However, this sounds like a book version of sliders - but better! Can't wait to read it! :-)

The Song of the Quarkbeast - Jasper Fforde
Publisher: UK - Hodder & Stoughton
As the background Wizidrical Power slowly builds after the Big Magic, King Snodd IV of Hereford realises the man who controls Magic controls almost anything. But one person stands between him and his plans for power and riches: Jennifer Strange, sixteen-year-old acting manager of Kazam.
It may involve a trip on a magic carpet at the speed of sound to the Troll Wall, it may involve a second Quarkbeast sniffing around town. It might also involve the mysterious Transient Moose, and a powerless sorceress named Once Magnificent Boo. But one thing is certain: Jennifer Strange and her faithful assistant Tiger Prawns will not relinquish the noble powers of magic to big business and commerce without a fight.

I love Jasper Fforde's writing - it's such fun and so imaginative and I really want to know what Jennifer is getting up to now!

So that's a few of my favourite authors...are there any books by your favourite writers out soon...?

7 comments:

  1. Oh! That Stephen King on is already on my Wishlist and I can't wait to get a hold of it to read when it releases! My wish list is here

    ReplyDelete
  2. King is always on my wishlist. LOL.
    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/04/on-my-wishlist-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover for Song of the Quarkbeast. It sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The middle one sounds so COOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Stephen King so I am also pretty anxious to read this new one. Hopefully it will be awesome just like the rest :) I hope you get to read all of these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Wind Through the Keyhole" is fairly enjoyable, though not nearly as action packed or suspenseful as I would have liked. "The Skin Man" is considerably better - everything I hoped for. The novel's bookends (with Roland and crew) are little more than an appeasement for the diehard fans and a way to sandwich the book between volumes 4 and 5. That sandwiching does NOT work for me, though. These stories do not in any way add to the tale of Roland and his ka-tet and, if read as volume 4.5, I feel it would significantly detract from the tale, drawing the reader away from the truly important story. I would have MUCH rather seen this as a collection of independent short stories (Tales from the Dark Tower, if you will), perhaps even including the previously published "The Little Sisters of Eluria".
    Another disappointment is the complete lack of illustrations.

    ReplyDelete