Monday 12 August 2013

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6) Review

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6)
Ilona Andrews

Publisher: Ace Fantasy

Atlanta is a city plagued by magical problems. Kate Daniels will fight to solve them—no matter the cost.Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, are struggling to solve a heartbreaking crisis. Unable to control their beasts, many of the Pack’s shapeshifting children fail to survive to adulthood. While there is a medicine that can help, the secret to its making is closely guarded by the European packs, and there’s little available in Atlanta.
Kate can’t bear to watch innocents suffer, but the solution she and Curran have found threatens to be even more painful. The European shapeshifters who once outmaneuvered the Beast Lord have asked him to arbitrate a dispute—and they’ll pay him in medicine. With the young people’s survival and the Pack’s future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept the offer—but they have little doubt that they’re heading straight into a trap...

Who says after a couple gets together life gets boring...? For Kate and Curran life together is just as challenging and exciting as before but the stakes are higher than ever before. Kate is now the Beast Lord’s Consort and this means as well as being Currans other half she has responsibility for the Pack. So she and Curran find themselves heading to Europe in order to obtain some vitally needed medicine that will help save the Pack’s children from going loup.

Wow. Just wow. 

This series set such a high standard and it sends a little of thrill of excitement down my spine that the quality is maintained, the world is expanded and the characters grow and change. No-one is safe and even surviving doesn’t mean that life will be the same. Kate has let Curran into her heart completely and the vulnerability that gives her is a different side of the character. Especially when she is surrounded by shapeshifters who make assumptions she is weak as she isn’t one. The wider plot with Kate’s father is expanded as well in some very intriguing ways.

When I picked up this book I was immediately sucked back into Atlanta and world ravaged by magic, I didn’t want to leave and just wanted to continue stalking Kate,Curran, Andrea, Doolittle and the others as long as possible. There is plenty of action, soul searching and intrigue in equal measures. My one niggle was Curran’s behaviour was while ultimately noble, was still not giving Kate enough credit. However, any book which gets my adrenaline pumping, my heart thumping and where anything can happen is always a good time.

There are some big changes by the end of the story and I have no idea what is in store for Kate and the Pack next...and I have a long wait until the next book is out!


Recommended for fans of Jim Butcher and Karen Chance. 9.5 out of 10.

6 comments:

  1. I just want to say for the record "we told you so!" :))) What a fabulous fabulous book, and a gorgeous review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get my hands on this one! I'm also amazed at how well the quality is maintained throughout the series -- even on book 6! Glad to know it holds up with the rest of the series. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was "just wow" wasn't it? I've got a major book hangover now after finishing it, nothi seems to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same about Curran, not cool

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT? I'm that far behind??? I still need to read that first book and now you have me drooling over the 6th?! Not fair!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay now that I'm at home after my return from Paris, I'll be able to read it! can't wait!

    ReplyDelete