Sunday 4 August 2013

My Book Haul / Showcase Sunday

This is Books, Biscuits and Tea's Showcase Sunday where I share my lovely book hauls each week. Have a look back at Vicki's link up to see what everyone is up too!

This week  I finished Stung by Bethany Wiggins - a decent dystopian, Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas - a fabulously exciting YA fantasy and finally the final Corine Solomon book, Agave Kiss by Ann Aguirre - a nice ending to a good series!

I don't know what it is about sunshine but it seems to make me buy books, lot of books. After last weeks haul, this week I had a grande haul!

Won

Reaper's Legacy (Toxic City #2) - Tim Lebbon
Publisher: Pyr
Two years after London is struck by a devastating terrorist attack, it is cut off from the world, protected by a large force of soldiers (known as Choppers), while those in the rest of Britain believe that their ex-capital is now a toxic, uninhabited wasteland.
Jack and his friends know that the truth is very different. The handful of survivors in London are developing strange, fantastic powers. Evolving. Meanwhile, the Choppers treat the ruined city as their own experimental playground. Jack's own developing powers are startling and frightening, though he is determined to save his father, the brutal man with a horrific power who calls himself Reaper. Jack must also find their friend Lucy-Anne, who went north to find her brother.
What Lucy-Anne discovers is terrifying-people evolving into monstrous things and the knowledge that a nuclear bomb has been set to destroy what's left of London. And the clock is ticking.

I won this over at Literary Escapism and it finally arrived! Now I just need to get book one in this series...

Bought

Wool - Hugh Howey
Publisher: Arrow
In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo.
Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies.
To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism.
Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside.
Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.

This is one of those books I've been circling for a while as it has had comparisons to The Hunger Games and The Passage so I thought to myself, why not?

A Dangerous Inheritance - Alison Weir
Publisher: Arrow
The year is 1562. Lady Catherine Grey, cousin of Elizabeth I, has just been arrested along with her husband Edward. Their crime is to have secretly married and produced a child who might threaten the Queen's title.
Alone in her chamber at the Tower of London, Catherine hears ghostly voices, echoes, she thinks, of a crime committed in the same room where she is imprisoned.
The story flashes back to 1483 and another Catherine - Kate Plantaganet, bastard daughter of Richard III. She has heard terrible rumours of the death of the young deposed Edward V and his brother (the Princes in the Tower) but loyalty to her father prevents her believing them. After his death at Bosworth, she is viewed with suspicion by Henry VII's court, even more so when she becomes pregnant.
Catherine, too, is pregnant, a friendly warder having sneaked Edward into her room. She finds documents relating to Kate's life and gets swept up both in Kate's story and the mystery of the Princes, which she realises Kate never solved.

Having been watching the BBC drama The White Queen on Sundays at the moment I've become quite taken with historical stories again and this story promises to mix the story of the Princes in the Tower with the Tudors!

A Night On The Orient Express - Veronica Henry
Publisher: Orion Publishing
The Orient Express. Luxury. Mystery. Romance.
For one group of passengers settling in to their seats and taking their first sips of champagne, the journey from London to Venice is more than the trip of a lifetime.
A mysterious errand; a promise made to a dying friend; an unexpected proposal; a secret reaching back a lifetime...As the train sweeps on, revelations, confessions and assignations unfold against the most romantic and infamous setting in the world

This was a complete impulse purchase - I just liked the sound of it!

Cat Trick (A Magical Cats Mystery #4) - Sofie Kelly
Publisher: Obsidian Mystery
A group of Mayville Heights’ business people hope to convince the Chicago-based company, Legacy Tours, to sell a vacation package in their town. Legacy Tours partner, Mike Glazer, grew up in Mayville Heights, but it seems he’s not the same small-town boy people remember. Everyone seems to have an issue with the opinionated loudmouth Mike has become—until someone shuts him up for good.
When Kathleen and her cat, Hercules, discover Mike’s body near the boardwalk, she can’t help but get involved in the investigation—even if it might torpedo her relationship with Detective Marcus Gordon. Now, with a little help from Hercules and Owen, it’s up to Kathleen to make sure the killer is booked for an extended stay in prison before some else takes a permanent vacation.

This is another one of those series I haven't started reading but I now have three books in the series so I hope I like it!

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6) - Ilona Andrews
Publisher: Ace Fantasy
Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, are struggling to solve a heartbreaking crisis. Unable to control their beasts, many of the Pack’s shapeshifting children fail to survive to adulthood. While there is a medicine that can help, the secret to its making is closely guarded by the European packs, and there’s little available in Atlanta. 
Kate can’t bear to watch innocents suffer, but the solution she and Curran have found threatens to be even more painful. The European shapeshifters who once outmaneuvered the Beast Lord have asked him to arbitrate a dispute—and they’ll pay him in medicine. With the young people’s survival and the Pack’s future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept the offer—but they have little doubt that they’re heading straight into a trap...


Thank the book gods for pre-orders!! This arrived unexpected and early this week and literally had me shouting for joy and dancing round the room! I love this series which like a toddler started out a little wobbly but has blossomed into a wonderfully exciting adult! Plus I'd love a little Beast Lord of my own! :-)

What have you picked up this week...?

11 comments:

  1. I got Magic Rises too and went all YAY. loved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished Magic Rises the other day it was AMZING! Put down your other books and read it right away Mel, it's the best in the series and one of my favourite books of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Lesley here, Mel! Put down everything and read Magic Rises, it's unbelievably good! :) and don't trick yourself thinking it's sunshine that makes you buy books. We know the truth :))) You are addicted just like us and can't stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Magic rises! can't wait to be at home to have it! Reaper's Legacy sounds great I didn't know this one. Happy reading:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Crown of Midnight amazing?!

    I've only read one book by Alison Weir before, but I have The Princes in the Tower on my bookshelf. I love a bit of historical fiction too.

    Have a good week.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read Wool, it seems amazing. Enjoy everything :)
    My Showcase Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear the Wool series is supposed to be amazing. I haven't read it yet myself, but I do have a copy of the omnibus edition, and it's one that's definitely on my list of books that I have to read at some point. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great haul, I've not heard of Tim Lebbon before but the cover looks great, I'll have to check this one out.
    I enjoyed Wool and YAY for Magic Rises.

    My haul

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really is a grande haul! Some great looking books there Mel, enjoy the sunshine while it lasts!
    Enjoy :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet haul this week looks like you have some good reading ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard great things about Wool! :) I hope it lives up to your expectations and turns out to be a great read. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete