Saturday 3 December 2011

On My Wishlist #66

This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week I'm looking at some very different mysteries...
 
Shakespeare's Landlord - Charlaine Harris
Publisher: UK - Gollancz
Disguising herself with short hair and baggy clothes, Lily Bard has started over in the sleepy town of Shakespeare, Arkansas, where - working as a cleaning lady - she can sweep away the secrets of her dark and violent past... When Lily discovers the dead body of her nosy landlord, her plan to live a quiet, unobserved life starts to crumble. Lily doesn't care who did it. But as the unwanted attentions of the police chief and a suspicious community fall on her, she soon realizes if she doesn't unmask the murderer, her life might do more than crumble... it might end.
 
I've enhoyed Charlaine Harris Sookie books for years (although not as much now as I used to) and now with the success of True Blood, Gollancz are re-publishing some of her old stories including the whole Shakespear series. It sounds like a a cosy mystery with an edge - and I'm definitely up for checking it out!
 
The Devil Colony - James Rollins
Publisher: UK - Orion (December 2011)
Deep in the Rocky Mountains, hundreds of ancient mummified bodies are found. During a riot at the dig site, an anthropologist dies horribly, burned to ashes in a fiery explosion. All the evidence points to a radical group of Native Americans. Painter Crowe, the director of Sigma Force, is called to investigate. He then joins forces with Commander Grayson Pierce.

James Rollins does some fun escapism stories which mingle science and some ancient mystery together. I always have fun catching up with Painter Crowe and Gray Pierce - and the rest of Sigma team!
 
Snuff - Terry Prachett
Publisher: UK - DoubleDay
According to the writer of the best-selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse. And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder. He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, and occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment. They say that in the end all sins are forgiven. But not quite all...
 
I've long been a fan of the Discworld and I have to admit the Citywatch books are my favourite. I adore Sam Vimes, Carrot, Nobby and the rest - and the way Terry Prachett manages to merge satire with some intriguing mysteries as well.
 
What are you wishing for this week?

12 comments:

  1. The Devil's Colony looks really intriguing. I love it when science and ancient myths mix up together. I should really get started on Terry Pratchett's books. They're popular worldwide, and I see them every week in my local bookstore, but there are just so many of them that I can't even imagine where to start!

    Take a look at what's on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a good mystery in about 100 years, I didn't even know Charlaine Harris wrote anything other than her Sookie books! How bad is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read the first one of this Charlaine Harris series. I keep hearing great stuff about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try CH's mysteries. I have a couple on my tbr but haven't been able to get to them. I swear I need to read James and Terry too. I haven't! I should hang my head in shame. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have to check the Charlaine Harris mystery too! I really enjoy Sookie books, too, though like you said, not so much anymore. But hopefully it gets better :)

    Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard so much good about Shakespears Landlord, I love Charlaine Harris. I hope you get these books soon.

    Check hour my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read Harris' Sookie (which I enjoy). That one sounds interesting; I might check it out. Hope you get to read both of these soon!


    On my Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh- mystery stories. These all sound great, and you definitely can't go wrong with Terry Pratchett!
    Hope you get to read these soon.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have both your books on my TBR. I'm wishing for a picture book. Please come see which one it is and who recommended it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's years since I read a Terry Pratchet book. I miss Ankh-Morpork - might have to pick some up again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am wishing for (all my xmas books to come ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am reading the Lily Bard books at the moment. You can get them from The Book People for £5.99 for the set.

    ReplyDelete