Monday 4 February 2013

Grave Dance (Alex Craft #2) Review

Grave Dance (Alex Craft #2)
Kalayna Price
Publishers: UK – Berkley
 After a month spent recovering from a vicious fight with a sorcerer, grave witch Alex Craft is ready to get back to solving murders by raising the dead. With her love life in turmoil thanks to the disappearance of Fae Investigation Bureau agent Falin Andrews and a shocking “L” word confession from Death himself, Alex is eager for the distractions of work. But her new case turns out to be a deadly challenge. The police hire Alex to consult on a particularly strange investigation in the nature preserve south of Nekros City. The strange part: There are no corpses, only fragments of them. A serial killer is potentially on the loose, and Alex has no way to raise a shade without a body, so she’ll have to rely on the magic of others to find leads. But as she begins investigating, a creature born of the darkest magic comes after her. Someone very powerful wants to make sure the only thing she finds is a dead end—her own.

This is definitely one of those series that started out strong but has gotten stronger! I was thrown straight back into the world and loved Alex, her friends, her job and even her two potential suitors are great characters that I loved getting to know better. I can completely understand for once why Alex is unable to choose between the two men in her live. Usually love triangles annoy me as one of the men is obviously the one she will choose from the beginning and I just want the heroine to stop stringing them both along, but here both characters have their flaws and both seem to genuinely care for despite the difficulties in perusing a relationship for very different reasons. Neither choice would be an easy option though…
With Alex’s Grave Witch powers explored in the first book, we now get a chance to look at her fey inheritance and explore fae itself. The Winter Court is an intriguing place as is stasis and some of the other areas Alex find on her investigation. One of the elements that I like about that Alex is that she isn’t a loner but has friends and colleagues who’s opinion matters and we get to learn a little more about Alex’s housemates as well…although a few questions were left unanswered which only makes me anxious to read the book in the series!
This is an easy to read Urban Fantasy with great characters and a very satisfying central mystery. More of the world is explored but more questions are raised and I think Alex is rapidly becoming one of my favourite heroines – she’s certainly one character that I would like to be friends with! Highly recommended series for those who like a little witch and fae in their UF and a genuine love triangle.
Recommended for fans of Jeanienne Frost and Kelley Armstrong. 9 out of 10

6 comments:

  1. Excellent review, Mel! I agree the series is getting stronger with each book. Some bits even remind me of Kim Harrison's writing. Now I remember that you have book #3 already? So I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it too (I haven't bought it yet). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have book three, Grave Memories and I hope to read it this month! I'm fed up of starting these great series and then falling behind so one of my bookish resolutions for the year is to get uptodate with all the series I follow! Will let you know what I think! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I wanted this series before, but you have me drooling after them now! Stronger after a strong debut? ACK! I need these now. Can't wait to see what you think of the 3rd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this series and I'm so glad it's the same for you! You'll see the third is really great too. can't wait to see what you'll think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dang, you got to reading this one. I still have to pick up the first one. Um....I've got to do that. ;) Thanks for the amazing review!

    ReplyDelete