Monday 18 February 2013

Grave Memory (Alex Craft #3) Review

Grave Memory (Alex Craft #3)
Kalayna Price

Publisher: UK – Berkley

As a Grave Witch, Alex solves murders by raising the dead—an ability that comes at a cost, and after her last few cases, that cost is compounding. But her magic isn’t the only thing causing havoc in her life. While she’s always been on friendly terms with Death himself, things have recently become a whole lot more close and personal. Then there’s her sometime partner, agent Falin Andrews, who is under the glamour of the Winter Queen. To top everything off, her best friend has been forever changed by her time spent captive in Faerie. But the personal takes a backseat to the professional when a mysterious suicide occurs in Nekros City and Alex is hired to investigate. The shade she raises has no memory of the days leading up to his brutal ending, so despite the very public apparent suicide, this is murder. But what kind of magic can overcome the human will to survive? And why does the shade lack the memory of his death? Searching for the answer might mean Alex won’t have a life to remember at all...

It is now confirmed: Alex Craft is one of my favourite UF series. It has great characters, pacy plot, interesting magic, duplicitous fae and real heart. Alex continues to discover some of her hidden heritage while learning more about Death’s world and dealing with a serial killer who kills via suicide...so just a normal week for Alex then!

Alex is a great heroine – she’s tough and independent without being cold or distant at all. Her family past is difficult but she’s created a new family of friends for herself with her business partner and fellow Grave Witch Rhiannon, her roommates and even her strained relationships with Falin, the Winter Queen’s Bloody Hand and Death, the Soul Collector. The range of characters and relationships are what has kept drawing me back to this series. I want to see how the relationships develop and feel included in their banter. It’s even one of the few love triangles that doesn’t bug me – I like both love interests but not sure she belongs with either!

This story is fast-paced with some great scenes that stick in the mind long after. There is some movement of the big arc as well which is interesting and rewarding for those following the series. Oh, and that ending... I’ve already pre-ordered Grave Visions, the fourth book in this series – it’ll feel like a long wait till the summer though!

Recommended for fans of Ilona Andrews and Jim Butcher. 9 out of 10

6 comments:

  1. I am waiting for book 3 myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I really liked this one, I can't wait now for book 4!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still need to read that first one and it is high on my wishlist. So glad you enjoyed this one. Bit worried about that ending. You know I hate cliffies, but looks like I'd want the next ASAP regardless. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo, 9 out of 10! I admit I'm still waiting for my library to get it, but I will be reading it at some point. It's series that gets better with every book. Loved your review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! You are flying through this series. :D And so glad it's ranked up there at the top. Wow. With Ilona too! I do have the first book, need to get to it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to read this series too. Everyone seems to love it.

    ReplyDelete