Sunday 24 February 2013

My Book Haul/ Showcase Sunday


This is Books, Biscuits and Tea's Showcase Sunday where I share my lovely book hauls each week. Have a look back at Vicki's link up to see what everyone is up too!

This week was very good week for reading. I managed to finish The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead (love the characters!), Soul Beach by Kate Harrison (I love the different take on YA) and fell in love with The Fault In Our Stars by John Green (best book I've read in ages!). I also managed to squeeze in the third book in the Alex Verus series, Taken by Benedict Jacka

So this week I received a competition win, three review books and two pre-orders came through, so while I read 4 books I received 6 books. That's not balanced...oh, well! :-)

Won

Darkness Haunts - Susan Illene
Kindle Book
Melena Sanders faced her fair share of danger with insurgents and terrorists when she served in the U.S. Army, but now she is about to go up against a new threat. Her best friend, Aniya, has disappeared while on a trip to Fairbanks, Alaska—a supernatural haven. Most humans have no idea darker races lurk amongst them. Mel knows better. If she wants to get her friend back, she’s going to have to go in alone—but not unarmed.
Melena has a few special skills the Army didn’t provide, but the odds are still against her. She’s got to come up with a plan fast that doesn’t involve her, or her friend, dying. But danger likes to play it rough. A war for power is about to rise in Fairbanks and if she wants to get Aniya back, she’s going to have to step right into the middle of it.

I won this from Karina at Nocturnal Book Reviews - I do like my UF so I'm looking to start this when I get a chance! 

Reviews

The Disgrace of Kitty Grey - Mary Hooper
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Kitty is living a happy, carefree life as a dairymaid in the countryside. The grand family she is employed by looks after her well, and she loves her trade, caring for the gentle cows and working in the cool, calm dairy. And then, of course, there is Will, the river man who she thinks is very fond of her, and indeed she is of him. Surely he will ask her to marry him soon?Then one day disaster strikes: Will disappears. Kitty is first worried and then furious. She fears that Will has only been leading her on all this time, and has now gone to London to make his fortune, forgetting about her completely. So when Kitty is asked to go to London to pick up a copy of Pride and Prejudice, the latest novel by the very fashionable Jane Austen, Kitty leaps at the chance to track down Will. But Kitty has no idea how vast London is, and how careful she must be. It is barely a moment before eagle-eyed pickpockets have spotted the country-born-and-bred Kitty and relieved her of her money and belongings. Dauntingly fast, she has lost her only means of returning home and must face the terrifying prospect of stealing in order to survive - and of being named a thief . . .

I love Mary Hooper's books so when the opportunity to review her latest book came up, I couldn't resist!

His Dark Lady - Victoria Lamb
Publisher: Bantam Press
London, 1583. When young, aspiring playwright William Shakespeare encounters Lucy Morgan, one of Queen Elizabeth I's ladies-in-waiting, the two fall passionately in love. He declares Lucy the inspiration for his work, but what secret is Will hiding from his muse? Meanwhile, Lucy has her own secret - and one that could destroy her world if exposed.


I read The Queen's Secret last year by Victoria Lamb and really enjoyed it so when the chance came to take part in the launch of the sequel, I jumped. I have a post of Victoria herself to come this week as well as three copies of the book to give away so stop back later this week!

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden 2) - Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally. Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike

This was released on Netgalley this week as I really enjoyed The Immortal Rules, I didn't wait ot request it! :-)

Bought

Blood and Magick (Deacon Chalk #3) - James R Tuck
Publisher: Kensington
Taking out hellish creatures—not a problem. Armed with blessed silver hollow-points and the ability to manipulate magick, he’s ready for anything—except betrayal he never saw coming…
Deacon Chalk knows the biggest danger in fighting monsters is becoming one. Just another day at the office for your friendly neighborhood occult bounty hunter. If keeping three helpless were-dog children safe means battling a malevolent trio of witches by any means necessary, so be it. If that means partnering with a ruthless government agent to stay one step ahead of the allies and friends he must now suspect, he’s not going to cry about it. The only way Deacon can save humans and shape-shifters alike is to embrace a power beyond his imagining, putting his team at stake—and his soul on the line.

The Deacon Chalk series is a joy to read - adrenalin  pumping, breath taking fun. I pre-ordered this ages ago and was happy to see it arrive!

Etiquette and Espionage - Gail Carriger
Publisher: Atom
It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to Finishing School.
Sophronia Temminnick at 14 is a great trial more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners -- and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Her poor mother, desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady, enrolls the lively tomboy in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality. 
But young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage -- in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.

I loved Gail Carrigers unique and witty writing style so I preordered this but it has taken AGES to arrive. Happy it's here now though! :-)

What have you picked up this week?

12 comments:

  1. I got Eternity Cure to read this week as well- I loved Immortal Rules.
    I really want a copy of Etiquette and Espionage as well, Gail Carriger is so funny.
    Great books this week- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one who got Eternity Cure - I can't wait to dive into it. Great week hun x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i asked for etiquette and espionage on edelweiss but my request was declined and i got eternity cure too.....oh can't wait to begin it

    do check mine too here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had an amazing week! :) Congrats on your win!
    I keep seeing The Disgrace of Kitty Grey everywhere - that cover is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone got The Eternity Cure bar me this week...waaaah. I think I missed the big rush so might have to wait for MIRA Ink to send out the widgety thing. I love the cover of Kitty Grey but trying to tell myself not to request books just because they look pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got the Mary Hooper too, excited to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great haul, I need to get a copyof The Eternity Cure soon. Congrats on the win!!!!

    My Haul

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darkness Haunts is a very quick and good read, Mel! I finished yesterday in couple of hours. :) New Gail Carriger is fantastic, - such a light and funny read. You've got some amazing reads here, so I hope you enjoy them all, sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want the first book, it sounds good :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved The Queen's Secret and was lucky enough to get a copy to review last year, can't wait to read His Dark lady! Looking forward to the blog content on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice I love the covers, can't wait to read the new Gail Carriger book. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. That's an amazing haul of books. Some wonderful reads here. Hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete