Sunday 10 February 2013

My Book Haul / Showcase Sundays

This is Books, Biscuits and Tea's Showcase Sunday where I share my lovely book hauls each week. Have a look back at Vicki's link up to see what everyone is up too!

This week I finished  reading Silver Shark by Ilona Andrews - fun Science-fiction that deserves a full length novel I think! I also finished Cursed by Benedict Jacka - fun Urban Fantasy in London and Dark Alchemy, a fantasy anthology plus Grave Memory by Kalayna Price - the third in one of my new favourite UF Series! So that's four books down - but I ended up getting five books this week to replace them...

So what did I pick up to replace these books?
A couple of creepy looking covers have arrived this week...and a bundle of review books arrived from Penguin...

Won
Reviver - Seth Patrick
Publisher: Pan McMillian - Released June 2013
Jonah Miller is a Reviver, able to temporarily revive the dead so they can say goodbye to their loved ones—or tell the police who killed them. 
Jonah works in a department of forensics created specifically for Revivers, and he’s the best in the business. For every high-profile corpse pushing daisies, it’s Jonah’s job to find justice for them. But while reviving the victim of a brutal murder, he encounters a terrifying presence. Something is on the other side watching. Waiting. His superiors tell him it's only in his mind, a product of stress. Jonah isn't so certain. Then Daniel Harker, the first journalist to bring revival to public attention, is murdered. Jonah finds himself getting dragged into the hunt for answers. Working with Harker's daughter Annabel, he becomes determined to find those responsible and bring them to justice. Soon they uncover long-hidden truths that call into doubt everything Jonah stands for, and reveal a sinister force that threatens us all.

I won this over at the Tor UK Facebook page. I really wanted to get my hands on a copy as it sounds so sinister and creepy. It's a debut novel and Seth Patrick has been compared to Dean Koontz and Justin Cronin so I am definitely intrigued!

For Review

Through Dark Eyes - Chris Priestley
Publisher: UK - Bloomsbury
Alex joins his father on a business trip to Amsterdam. During the day he hangs out with the daughter of a family friend. They visit the usual sights but also coffee shops and flea markets off the beaten track. At one of these markets Alex spots an ancient-looking mask. Before he knows what he's doing he buys it. Later, in his hotel room, he feels compelled to put the mask on. Alex is sucked into a parallel Amsterdam, one from centuries before which begins to reveal the dark past of both the building he is staying in and the little girl who once lived there...

I enjoyed Christ Priestley's Tales of Terror series so I was curious about a full length novel by Chris and when I spotted this on Netgalley I couldn't resist!

The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) - Richelle Mead
Publisher: Penguin
In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.

I am a big fan of the VA series and when Penguin offered me a chance to review the third book in the Bloodlines follow up I jumped at the chance!

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) - Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Puffin
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future...


Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) - Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Puffin
Cinder's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. 
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own. 
As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.


When I said I hadn't read Cinder so wasn't sure I should review Scarlet, Penguin very generously offered me both! I love fairy tales and these books have both had great reviews so I will be starting these as soon as possible!

So what have you picked up this week?


Psst...I'm having a giveaway if you want to help me choose what to read this month!

18 comments:

  1. I haven't read an of Richelle Mead's YA books, and I really should as I loved her Succubus series. What a great batch of books to have turn up. Hope you enjoy them. :o)

    Julie@Bookaroo-Ju

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. The first two look really creepy! I like the sound of the first one - I'll keep an eye on your blog for the review :) Hope you enjoy it and all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books all have rather eerie covers!! Didn't know Cinder was set in Beijing, going to have to read that! Also Kai is my sexy name of the moment ;)
    Great haul - enjoy! :D

    Laura @ What's Hot?
    My Showcase Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I really want to try Cinder, I heard so many great things about it. We even will have it in March en French. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cinder is so good- I can't wait to read Scarlet! Hope you like them Mel.
    And Indigo Spell- you can't go wrong with Richelle Mead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reviver sounds interesting. Cinder is SO good and I can't wait to get Scarlet. Happy reading!

    Haul - Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I manage to keep the balance of books in/books read this week. It's a start, but they keep breeding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have to read the Bloodlines series and Cinder. I've heard they're awesome! Hope you enjoy all you got :)

    Here's my STS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had Cinder on my wishlist since forever! I guess I should read it soon since Scarlett has come out. I also need to read Bloodlines too. Happy reading! :)

    My SS: http://www.bookhi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/showcase-sunday-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although Cinder isn't my thing, I've seen some great reviews of it! Through Dead Eyes looks interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your Meyer back to back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Penguin is too nice! Love that you got both

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mel, definitely with your on Reviver! Sounds awesome, and I'm adding it to my wishlist! :) Also high five on Cinder and Scarlet. I think you'd love them both. I haven't read Scarlet yet, but I adored Cinder. Awesome pie, and well done on reading so many books this week! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cinder was an amazing book! Absolutely loved it, definitely one of my favourite books of 2012! I have Scarlet waiting to be read which will happen very very soon! Can't wait to read it, it looks so good! Great book haul, hope you enjoy all of your new books! :)

    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/showcase-sunday-29_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reviver looks really good! Definitely going to add that to my wishlist. Cinder is an amazing book! I just ordered Scarlet too and I can't wait for it to come. Hope you enjoy Cinder as much as I did!

    Here's my Showcase Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed Cinder and cannot wait to get my hands on Scarlet! :D

    Here's Mine @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice haul! I've been hearing great things about Meyer's books, do hope you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete