Sunday 24 March 2013

My Book Haul / Showcase Sunday

This is Books, Biscuits and Tea's Showcase Sunday where I share my lovely book hauls each week. Have a look back at Vicki's link up to see what everyone is up too!

This week I finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs which started out haunting and finished in a very different place from where it started. I also enjoyed The Disgrace of Kitty Grey by Mary Hooper which was a fun historical novel. Also completely on whim I picked up The Time Machine by HG Wells - very intriguing story.

I had one of those weeks where I just needed to buy books. Does anyone else have those weeks when just looking at books isn't enough and despite the fact that the TBR pile is HUGE, new books are needed now!

Bought

The Woman Who Died A Lot - Jasper Fforde
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
The BookWorld's leading enforcement officer Thursday Next is four months into an enforced semi-retirement following an assassination attempt. She returns home to Swindon for what you'd expect to be a time of recuperation. If only life were that simple. 
Thursday is faced with an array of family problems - son Friday's lack of focus since his career in the Chronoguard was relegated to a might-have-been, daughter Tuesday's difficulty perfecting the Anti-Smote shield needed to thwart an angry Deity's promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth, and Jenny, who doesn't exist.
And that's not all. With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, the prediction that Friday's Destiny-Aware colleagues will die in mysterious circumstances, and a looming meteorite that could destroy all human life on earth, Thursday's retirement is going to be anything but easy.

I loved the first couple of Thursday Next books and while recent additions haven't been as strong, I still enjoyed the imaginative world and quirky characters!

Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson #7) - Patricia Briggs
Publisher: Orbit
Mercy Thompson’s life has undergone a seismic change. Becoming the mate of Adam Hauptman—the charismatic Alpha of the local werewolf pack—has made her a stepmother to his daughter Jesse, a relationship that brings moments of blissful normalcy to Mercy’s life. But on the edges of humanity, what passes for a minor mishap on an ordinary day can turn into so much more…. 
After an accident in bumper-to-bumper traffic, Mercy and Jesse can’t reach Adam—or anyone else in the pack for that matter. They’ve all been abducted. Through their mating bond, all Mercy knows is that Adam is angry and in pain. With the werewolves fighting a political battle to gain acceptance from the public, Mercy fears Adam’s disappearance may be related—and that he and the pack are in serious danger. Outclassed and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from any ally she can get, no matter how unlikely.

I love Mercy & Adam and plan to sit down and read this book in one day over Easter...

Stray Souls (Magical Anonymous #1) - Kate Griffin
Publisher: Orbit
London’s soul has gone missing. Lost? Kidnapped? Murdered? Nobody knows – but when Sharon Li unexpectedly discovers she’s a shaman, she is immediately called upon to use her newfound powers of oneness with the City to rescue it from a slow but inevitable demise.
The problem is, while everyone expects Sharon to have all the answers – from the Midnight Mayor to Sharon’s magically-challenged self-help group – she doesn’t have a clue where to start. But with London’s soul missing and the Gate open, there are creatures loose that won’t wait for her to catch up before they go hunting.

Kate Griffin has a melodic way with words and her descriptions of London are fabulous.

Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles #4) - Kevin Hearne
Publisher: Orbit
Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert. But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shapeshifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.

Ok, ok so I haven't even started reading this series yet - but I'm pretty sure I will like it so I bought book four to add to the TBR pile! 

City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles #3) - Robin Hobb
Publisher: HarperCollins
The dragons and their keepers have discovered Kelsingra but so far only Heeby has succeeded in flying over the river to enter the fabled city. The other dragons, with their deformed wings and feeble muscles, are afraid to risk failure and humiliation. 
But wondrous things await in Kelsingra, a city built for dragons and their Elderling keepers. Alise, overwhelmed by the treasures she finds there, records her finds for posterity. Once the rest of the world knows about the riches the city contains, nothing will ever be the same again. 
Already, rumours of the city’s discovery have floated down the Rain Wild River and reached envious ears in Bingtown and beyond. Adventurers, pirates and fortune hunters are coming in droves to pillage what they can from the city. As is Hest Finbok, Alise’s husband... 
And here is Tintaglia, the great sapphire-blue dragon, when all have such need of her? Has she really abandoned her beloved Selden and the fledgling dragons forever? Or will she too return to seek the wonders of Kelsingra?

This is another series I haven't started reading yet but I loved Robin Hobbs Liveship Traders trilogy.

Won

Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin #2) - Amanda Bonilla
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
For months, Darian and her Shaede guardian, Raif, have searched for the Oracle who attempted to overthrow the Shaede Nation--and kill Darian in the bargain. But now that they've finally found the half-crazed Oracle, they are granted a possibility too painful for Raif to imagine and too enticing for Darian to ignore. 
Darian is determined to reunite Raif and the daughter he thought was dead, but her mission quickly proves dangerous when her lover, Tyler, is almost killed. And when a brooding and mysterious Fae warrior offers his guidance--at an extraordinary price--Darian finds herself willing to risk everything. As her single-minded hunt turns into an obsession, and she and Tyler grow further apart, Darian finds herself caught between the man she loves like a brother and the man whose love she can't live without.

I won this from the wonderful Suzanne Johnson over at Preternatura. This is a series Mellanie has been raving about for ages so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

So what have you picked up this week?

15 comments:

  1. yes!!!! you really need to read Amanda Bonilla! You'll love it!!! I also need to read the Patricia Briggs book, can't wait! Happy reading darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a few books behind with Thursday Next but they always give me a warm fuzzy feelign when I read them. I also ave Stray Souls and Frost Burned to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably the only person who hasn't read anything by Jasper Fforde yet. I've seen his books an awful lot on Dany @ Pen to Paper's blog and I know she loved them so I'll have to check them out asap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jasper Fforde's book - I am sure you will have a lot of fun with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have heard great things about Jasper Fforde's book so hope you enjoy this one :)

    Have a lovely Sunday,

    Megan xxxx

    My Showcase Sunday if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Briggs' books on my Kindle for ages, need to read them soon. And Hobb's as well.

    Happy reading!
    My haul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have those days as well. I love getting new books! :) Or do you ever walk into the library with the plan of getting only two books and you end up with eight. Whoops.

    Happy reading.

    Nina@J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I defnitely have this too, weeks when you just want to bu books :) Great reads, Mel! You'll enjoy Frost Burned - it was a lovely read! So as Tricked. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished Bone Crossed, the fourth MT book, but I'm already looking forward to Frost Burned since I've heard AMAZING things about it. Great haul! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I have those book buying weeks too!
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great books. I need to get going on my series reading. So behind on the Thursday books. I need you to start reading the Iron Druid series so I know what you think! If you have a chance at the audio, don't turn it down. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok that Griffin book sounds really cool :D
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Woman Who Died a Lot? What an interesting title! Frost Burned was excellet for me, much better than River Marked. I so missed the secondary characters, and this time we got to revisit all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the covers of those Thursday Next books!

    Here's my Showcase Sunday

    ReplyDelete