Tuesday 26 March 2013

Same Book / Different Cover: The Iron Duke

This is an occasional feature where I compare different covers of the same book...
This month I wanted to look at one of my favourite books - The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook. It's a great read with a mix of romance, action, steampunk, invention and political intrigue with two memorable lead characters - highly recommended! Considering that it covers a complete mix genres I was very curious to see what types of covers it would inspire!
Italian Cover
French Cover



















German Cover
UK Cover



















Polish Cover
US Cover



















Italian Cover: This looks more like a vampire book than steampunk. It's very dark and I'm not sure I get the connection to the story.

French Cover: This cover has close up of Mina which I quite like. She give it quite a lot of attitude in that pose and the fashions are what are described in the book

German Cover: This looks like an anime cover or a scene from one of those swashbuckling films

UK Cover: I like the mix of fog, clockwork, the Duke and Mina on the cover giving it plenty of attitude. Nice.

Polish Cover : I like  the clockwork motif of the cover and the picture of an airship over Big Ben, but the girl just doesn't look like Mina to me - there just isn't enough stubbornness in her stance

US Cover: What a male chest! The trouble is having read the book this model is not masculine enough to be the Duke - he should be hairy and broadshoulders. The guy on this cover, while nice just doesn't have a certain je ne sais quoi...

My Verdict? I like the UK Cover best - has the best of everything!

So what cover do you like best...? :)


6 comments:

  1. German and French cover look sassy but it's UK cover that is most correct. I think they seem to forget that Mina has Asian slant in her eyes which is what gives her most trouble in her work. UK cover at least addresses it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read this book! I would have to say is the UK cover wins, but the French is a close second. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. UK rocks, the rest sucks. The Italian makes no sense

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I love the UK cover, but the Italian one has me curious with that eye! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely the UK cover, although the French cover is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the UK cover it's exactly how I picture him in my head. I still have a soft spot for the US cover though as that's the book I had at first.

    ReplyDelete