Thursday 20 December 2012

Winter Warmers Review

Winter Warmers
Carole Matthews

Kindle Book

Three short stories from the wonderfully warm Carole Matthews: Winter Warmers - a gift for you.
All I Want for Christmas is You
Christmas is around the corner but Maria just can't get into the spirit - will she ever find Mr Right? But when a secret admirer starts leaving her poems and notes, it looks as though her luck is about to change . . .
Cold Turkey
Tara is in love with a man she can't have. She expected to spend Christmas with him but when the big day arrives, she finds herself alone. Sad and upset, Tara just wants to ignore the festive season - and then a chance encounter changes everything.

About Gardening
I love my husband Sam but our relationship isn't what it used to be. Can I find a way to bring us back together?

This is a lovely short selection of stories set at Christmas time with some romance added in. The first story – All I Want For Christmas is a sweet, sugary delight of a story. Nothing amazingly original, but a delightfully cute story about wanting to be with someone over Christmas – and looking in the right places for them.

Cold Turkey is more poignant about who we decide to spend Christmas with and being realistic. I liked this as a variation on the sweetness of the first story – it feels like a cheese course – tangy and refreshing with some bite to it. I really liked Tara as a character and hope she finds her happy ending!

The third story, About Gardening is the shortest and blandest of the three – nothing is wrong with it but I struggle to remember much about it. Like a glass of water – nothing wrong with it, but no memorable either.

Overall, these are a nice range of seasonal stories that should provide something for most Chick-Lit fans this Christmas!

Recommended for fans of Trisha Ashley and Marian Keyes. 7 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. Oh I do like shorts and for this time of the year, it can be perfect. Love the analogy with the water! Now I'll remember that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those I could read and enjoy, but would not rush out to buy

    ReplyDelete