Monday 15 August 2011

Corsets and Clockwork Review

Corsets and Clockworks
-       Edited Trisha Telep
Publisher: Robinson
Trisha Telep brings an exciting new element to the fast-growing sub-genre of steampunk, which bends and blends the old and the new in increasingly popular dark urban fantasies. Young heroes and heroines battle evil, in various forms with the help of super-technological or supernatural powers, while falling in and out of love.

Anthologies are just like a box of chocolates – you know you’ll like some flavours better than others. If you’re lucky the whole box will be full of soft centres (or whatever your favourite filling is!), but there’s usually at least one tooth cracking toffee in there. This anthology has thirteen tales of steampunk romance with some stories more romantic than others, and some more steampunkery (is that even a word? I don’t know but I like it! J). What surprised me was how much magic and supernatural doings were included as well!
There is a wide mixture of stories from vampires, fae, alternative versions of war and subversives all mingling to create a mix that should satisfy most people. The romance is generally on the soft side and rarely the main focus of the story.  Some stand out stories for me were Wild Magic by Ann Aguirre – maybe not the most original story but beautifully written and The Cannibal Fiend of Rotherhithe by Frewin Jones which I can’t get out of my head.
If you’re new to the steampunk genre this could be a good place to start.
Recommended for fans of Pip Ballantine and Gail Carriger. 8 out of 10

7 comments:

  1. I suppose it is something for me and I loved your "box of chocs" analogy - very true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more steampunk I read, the more I like it. I think I might really enjoy this anthology, and I'm going to have to add it to my wishlist now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I want this one! Sounds good! However, now you have me wanting chocolate to go with it when I read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steampunk! *jumps up and down* I want to read it :D Reminds me that I must read Ballantine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! A box of chocolates is a perfect way to describe anthologies. And seriously, I can't pass up vampires and steampunk. Was that story good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I have this one! And I can't wait to read it. :) Soooooo glad you enjoyed it. :) Thanks! You know Ann Aguirre's in this one right? Under her pen name. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover and it looks interesting. Thankd for sharing. Lisa

    ReplyDelete