Sunday 7 August 2011

My Book Haul/ In My Mailbox

The Story Siren hosts a weekly meme where bloggers can share what goodies they've purchased/received this week. If you get a chance head over to The Story Siren and check out what everyone is up to!
 
I wasn't going to do any of these posts in August as I'm on a bit of a book buying ban - and I can honestly say I've been successful for the this first week! Hopefully I'll last until the end of August so that for once my to be read pile will actually shrink. However, this week I've been particularly lucky and have picked up 2 books through giveaways and Amazon had a book I was interested in free - so I didn't pay for any of these - go me! :-)
 
Waterfall (River of Time) - Lisa Tawn Bergren
Kindle
In Waterfall, American teenager Gabi Betarrini accidently finds herself in Fourteenth-Century Italy . . . Knights. Swords. Horses. Armor. And Italian hotties. Most American teens want an Italian vacation, but the Betarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives there with their archaeologist parents. Stuck on yet another hot, dusty dig, they are bored out of their minds... until they place their hands atop handprints in an ancient tomb and find themselves catapulted into the Fourteenth Century and in the middle of a fierce battle between knights bent on killing one another.
 
This just sounds like a fun YA read - I love time travel and adore Italy. I'm desperate to go back and visit the Italian lakes at some point but until then I'll have to cope with visit in fiction form...
 
Forgive My Fins - Tara Lynn Childs
Publisher: Templar Publishing
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush. Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life. When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.
 
I won this on facebook from Templar Publishing but I've seen so many positive reviews, I'm really excited to read it!
 
The Watchtower - Lee Carroll
Publisher: Bantam
Jewelry designer Garet James is still coming to terms with the astounding revelation in BLACK SWAN RISING that she is the last in a long line of women sworn to protect the world from evil.  Now she has received a sign from Will Hughes, the 400-year-old vampire who once helped her defeat the evil threatening to destroy New York City.  Hughes, tortured by his own violent history which is vividly reenacted here, has asked her to join him on a quest to rid himself of his curse of vampirism.  While looking for Will in Paris, Garet encounters a number of mysterious figures-an ancient botanist metamorphosed into the oldest tree in Paris, a gnome who lives under the Labyrinth at the Jardin des Plantes, a librarian at the Institut Oceanographique, and a dryad in the Luxembourg Gardens. Each encounter leads Garet closer to finding Will Hughes, but she realizes that she’s not the only one who’s trying to find the way to the magical world called the Summer Country. As Garet struggles to understand her family legacy, each answer she finds only leads to more questions—and to more danger.…
 
I haven't read Black Swan Rising yet but I do own a copy as I think this series sounds great. And now I've won a copy of the sequel The Watchtower from Transworld publishing I'm going to read both books close to each other for a change! 
 
So what have you picked up this week? :)

17 comments:

  1. I just finished Black Swan Rising-it's very good. And that's a good idea-wait till you can read two books together. I don't like waiting to find out the conclusion of a semi-cliffhanger, like Black swan Rising.
    Enjoy the rest of your books!
    Nina @ Death Books and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on you awesome wins! Forgive My Fins is amazing Mel. Hope you enjoy it - Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want Waterfall! Forgive My Fins is fantastic!


    here is mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waterfall sounds really good I think I will need to get it for my Kindle too (especially if it's free!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think of Waterfall. I've had my eye on that since I first heard of it.

    I have a copy of Black Swan Rising, but I haven't read it yet. I just wasn't sure about it so I'll look out for your review of that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want all three books! Especially forgive my fins! :D

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgive my Fins is a fun read :)

    I also got Waterfall this week!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I saw a review for The Watchtower somewhere in the week, but I can't entirely remember it.. (this is why I leave myself little notes on my wishlist!) If it's the same book it had a different cover but did sound interesting. Enjoy!

    Once Upon A Time

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I bought Waterfall a week and a half ago (ordered it online), I was so bummed when a few days later it was free on the Kindle! Shoot! Oh well, I'm really excited to read it:) I've been wanting to read Forgive my Fins for a while, I've heard it's really cute, hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waterfall sounds awesome! Forgive my Fins is such a fun read...loved it! Enjoy :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great IMM! I also got Waterfall, but I forgot to mention it. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I want to know what you think about Watchtower! Good IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the look of that last one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forgive My Fins looks so good!!! I hope you enjoy it and everything else you got!!

    Here's my IMM! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heard so much about Forgive My Fins.. I really want to read it!!

    http://whats--hot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I grabbed Waterfall for free for my Kindle too. Can't wait to read it.

    Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I checked out Forgive My Fins from the library a while ago and loved it! I have a review on my blog if your interested. I really want to get my own copy of it soon. =)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete