Wednesday 18 January 2012

Audiobook: Eric Review

Eric (Discworld 9)
Written by Terry Pratchett
Read by Tony Robinson
An inept demonologist wants three wishes granted--to be immortal, to rule the world, and to have a beautiful woman fall in love with him. But instead of a demon, he calls up Rincewind, the most incompetent wizard in the universe. Because Eric gives him no other choice, Rincewind tries to grant him his wishes...
Eric is quite a short book for Terry Pratchett and this works well in audio form as there is less to cut for the abridgement. And this means that there are no strange plot jumps or unusual occurrences when listening. Tony Robinson is brilliant once again as the narrator and voices each character separately. He makes each character unique and recognisable which adds a lot of humour through his inflections to an already amusing story. This is one of the funniest Discworld stories partly because it follows a fairly standard plot  device– be careful what you wish for. But this is a Terry Pratchett book so the story is a clever rift on many expectations...from what the most beautiful woman in the world truly looks like and what would people do if they ever met the ruler of the world. And I won’t mention what it truly means to live forever...
Rincewind is possibly one of the bravest cowards you will ever meet – able to run away from pretty much anything and think on his feet, while the title character, Eric is a little annoying at first, he soon settles down. This story takes Rincewind and Eric across the Discworld, back in time and eventually to Hell, following in the footsteps of someone named Faust... While Terry Pratchett does add plenty of humour there is a biting satire to the story as well as we get treated to some great insights into a variety of subject from war to religion to office politics. I can’t say too much without spoiling a great experience but whether you listen to the book or read it, this is fun read.
I have to confess that I’ve never read any of the Rincewind books in the Discworld series – but I have listened to them all on audiobook. This is one of my favourites as Eric is an amusing and entertaining story with some fantastic images and a great twist on a familiar premise.
Recommended for fans of Douglas Adams and Jasper Fforde. 8.5 out of 10

4 comments:

  1. I used to read him and it was fun, but these days I go more for the epic kind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Eric but did not get on with it. I guess I will have to listen to the audio book, since your description was very glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Bravest coward? I like that. I hope someday someone will describe me that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm... now why have I never read this series? *smacks head* Probably because I was lurking around the adult section at that time. O.o

    ReplyDelete