Thursday 5 January 2012

Darkest Powers Bonus Pack Review

Darkest Powers Bonus Pack
-          Kelley Armstrong
Kindle Books
This is actually three short reads set during the Darkest Powers trilogy, Kelley Armstrong’s first YA books.
Dangerous is set shortly before The Summoning and tells of how Derek and Simon ended up in Lyle Home from Derek’s point of view. It is good to get inside Derek’s head to see how he thinks – and even before his first change he was thinking in terms of pack and non-pack. I really enjoyed seeing how Simon and Derek fitted into ‘normal’  school life and what they were like before they lost their Dad – it was a perfect side trip into some characters we didn’t get to see much together before. 9 out of 10.
Divided is set between The Summoning and The Awakening and follows Derek and Simon while waiting for Chloe. While it was nice to see what they got up to, it didn’t really add much to the story or either character other than see how Derek felt about Chloe. 6 out of 10
Disenchanted is set at the same time as part of The Awakening and follows Simon and Tori while they separate from Derek and Chloe. Not a lot happens but it is very amusing to see Simon, Chloe and Derek from Tori’s point of view, complete with sarcastic comments. Tori also has some self-realizations during the short story and she starts to make little steps towards caring for others – even if she still has a long way to go. 7 out of 10.
Recommended for fans of the Darkest Powers series and Mythos Academy. 7.5 out of 10.

5 comments:

  1. This one might actually be a good one for me to read. So many times I've seen highly-reviewed extras for series I haven't read all of yet, and here's one I can actually appreciate. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess, well if I read the Darkest P books I would perhaps look for these. But then again short stories are not a fav

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read any of the Darkest Powers books, but I'm always happy to see authors who give fans more of what they want. These shorts sound like a good addition, even if not all were as riveting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have book one and still need to read it. I love Kelley Armstrong so I will read it someday... hopefully soon. So glad to know I need to get this set of shorts too! I love knowing what happens inbetween. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, sounds like a nice book to add to the shelves with the series. Now I just need to get started on these series! :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete