Tuesday 17 January 2012

Guest Review: Strange Angels - Jealousy

Today I have Sarah dropping by to review one of her favourite series... 

Jealousy (Strange Angels 3)
- Lili St Crow

Publisher: UK - Quercus Publishing

It’s a good thing Dru Anderson is fast. Because the sucker chasing her isn’t slowing down—and he won’t rest until he has tasted her blood and silenced her heart . . .
Dru’s best friend, Graves, and her strange and handsome savior, Christophe, are ready to help her take on the ultimate evil. But will their battle for Dru’s heart get in the way of her survival?




Oh I do love this YA series.  It’s one of those where part of you wants to read every book back to back, because they’re just so damn readable; whilst the rest of you is all disciplined and makes you wait between books, because you just don’t want the series to end.  For those of you who haven’t read my previous Strange Angels reviews they star Dru Anderson, who may be an about-to-bloom svetocha (an uber-vampire-butt-kicker), but who is also very much a teenage girl.

That’s what I love about these books, they’re just so damn real.  Yes, I know, the book concerns vamps and weres, but St.Crow triumphs in making the story one we can all relate to.  Dru may be very well-trained in hand to hand combat, aided by her rapidly evolving powers, but fights still involve sweat and tears and bruises and blood.  She still gets hurt (and actually feels it), still gets ridiculously riled, and still quite often questions what the hell she is actually doing.  And when the dust has settled, and the adrenaline goes, boy does she crash and burn!

Jealousy is the third installment in this series, and now we’ve reached the stage of a very interesting love triangle.  Who would you chose?  The loup-garou boy her own age, who may be known as ‘goth boy’, but who is the only person since her parents died to ever make her feel safe?  Or the much older, gorgeous, slightly bad-boy djamphir who is passionately devoted to her, and especially her safety?  St.Crow doesn’t make the choice easy!

Jealousy is a pacey read, even when politics are thrown into the mix, and the fight scenes are almost visceral in their descriptions.  The fact that the story features mainly teenagers is never played down, and I dare you not to spot your teenage self in it!  Ok, so it’s not going to win a Booker Prize, but that doesn’t stop it being my favourite YA series out there, 8.5 out of 10.
 

3 comments:

  1. I haven't picked up this series even though so many have urged me to do so. Love triangles don't bother me unless done badly and it looks like this one isn't done that way. Hm... might be convinced yet. I wanna see myself as a character in the book! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard good things and those evil good things, well they make me want books. Like I said, pure evil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do want to get to this series. And I want to read this author! I've heard amazing things of her. So glad to see you enjoy the series so. :) Thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete