Sunday 29 January 2012

My Book Haul/In My Mailbox

The Story Siren hosts a weekly meme where bloggers can share what goodies they've purchased/received this week. If you get a chance head over to The Story Siren and check out what everyone is up to! Only a couple of books this week - the last of post-Christmas spree finally arrived!

Saints Astray - Jacqueline Carey
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Fellow orphans, amateur vigilantes, and members of the Santitos, Loup Garron--the fugitive daughter of a genetically engineered "wolf man"--and Pilar Ecchevarria grew up in the military zone of Outpost 12, formerly known as Santa Olivia. But now they're free, and they want to help the rest of the Santitos escape. During a series of escapades, they discover that Miguel, Loup's former sparring partner and reprobate surrogate brother, has escaped from Outpost 12 and is testifying on behalf of its forgotten citizens-at least until he disappears from protective custody. Honor drives Loup to rescue Miguel, even though entering the U.S could mean losing her liberty.

I love Jacqueline Carey's writing and this sequel to her YA book Santa Olivia is one I've wanted for ages!

Being Of The Field - Traci Harding
Publisher: HarperCollins
At the university on Maladaan, Taren has studied everything from genetics and cell communication to Quantum Physics, Astrophysics and ESP. She believes there is an ocean of microscopic vibrations connecting everything in the universe to every other universe -- an inter-dimensional field theory. Unbeknownst to Taren, her research and hidden psychic talents are the reason she is called on by the prestigious AMIE space project to investigate an ocean planet and its strange light phenomena. However, there are conflicting agendas within the organisation and she is the only one who begins to suspect that foul play might be afoot...

Traci Harding is a much underrated Aussie writer and I'm looking forward to starting her latest trilogy!

If I Die - Rachel Vincent
Publisher: UK - MIRA Ink
The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies. But the next scream might be for Kaylee.
Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

I've been buying all the books in the Soul Screamers series but I've yet to start reading them. This is the latest release in the UK and I think I will have to make a start on this series in 2012!

This Is Not Forgiveness - Celia Rees
Publisher: UK - Bloomsbury
Everyone says that Caro is bad ...but Jamie can't help himself. He thinks of her night and day and can't believe that she wants to be his girlfriend. Gorgeous, impulsive and unconventional, she is totally different to all the other girls he knows. His sister, Martha, hates her. Jamie doesn't know why, but there's no way he's going to take any notice of her warnings to stay away from Caro. But as Jamie falls deeper and deeper under her spell, he realises there is more to Caro - much more. There are the times when she disappears and doesn't get in touch, the small scars on her wrists, her talk about revolutions and taking action, not to mention the rumours he hears about the other men in her life. And then always in the background there is Rob, Jamie's older brother, back from Afghanistan and traumatised after having his leg smashed to bits there. Jamie wants to help him, but Rob seems to be living in a world of his own and is increasingly difficult to reach. With Caro, the summer should have been perfect ...but that isn't how things work out in real life, and Jamie is going to find out the hard way.

I won this from Kristy at The Overflowing Library as part of her British Books Challenge. It's not the usual type of book I would pick, which means it will be something different for me!

Tempest - Julie Cross
Publisher St Martins Griffin:
The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.
That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future. Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities. But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him. Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world...


I won a copy of this from Sarah at A Dream of Books - after ending a load of giveaways as I was really curious about the story. I do love time travel stories!

What have you recieved this week? :)

16 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of most of those books, though they do look very interesting! I got Tempest this week too!

    Here's the link to my IMM...

    http://notyourmothersbookblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-my-mailbox-january-29-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got Tempest the other day! :D *happy dance* I hope you'll enjoy reading it!

    Here's my IMM for this week.

    Have a great weekend,
    Vicky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being of The Field sounds really great! I love all your book choices, Mel, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's awesome, they sound amazing, I hope you'll enjoy the all. I haven't read this Jacqueline Carey series, only her other, but I would be curious to read your opinion about it.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh so many delicious books! I NEED to start some of Rachel's books soon, I've heard such amazing things about her stories. And Tempest! I LOVE anything to do with time travel, so I am super excited to get my hands on a copy. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get back in to Jacqueline Carey books - I've read the first two & a half Kushiel stories, but that's all, and I really liked her writing.
    I also haven't read any Soul Screamers books, but I'm thinking about checking them out soon.

    ~Ailsa
    (PS, here's my IMM: The Book Bundle )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tempest looks really good! I hope you enjoy everything you got this week! Come check out my IMM!

    http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-my-mailbox-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tempest has been on my wishlist forever! I've heard its amazing. I hope you love it!!!!

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to try Vincent's YA books.
    Awesome list

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dragonfly on the If I Die cover!! And Tempest!!! That one looks so good! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Being of the Field cover - so striking! Great mailbox this week :)

    In My Mailbox

    Kelly
    Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tempest sounds like a good one!
    Happy Reading!

    Amanda's Writings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great set! I want to read Rachel Vincent's books. Tempest looks great too.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  14. You MUST read the Soul Screamers series, I love it and I'd love to hear what you think. I'm just about finished with If I die and it's by far the best book in the series.

    Enjoy all your books as always you have excellent taste! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. No freaking way! You got Saints Astray???? I'm so going over to your bookshelf and stealing it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice mailbox! I do hope you enjoy all your new reads and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete