Tuesday 6 November 2012

Audio Review: Is It Just Me?

Is It Just Me?

Written & Read by Miranda Hart

Well hello to you dear browser. Now I have your attention it would be rude if I didn't tell you a little about my literary feast. So, here is the thing: is it just me or does anyone else find that adulthood offers no refuge from the unexpected horrors, peculiar lack of physical coordination and sometimes unexplained nudity, that accompanied childhood and adolescence? 
Does everybody struggle with the hazards that accompany, say, sitting elegantly on a bar stool; using chopsticks; pretending to understand the bank crisis; pedicures - surely it's plain wrong for a stranger to fondle your feet? Or is it just me? I am proud to say I have a wealth of awkward experiences - from school days to life as an office temp - and here I offer my 18-year-old self (and I hope you too dear reader) some much needed caution and guidance on how to navigate life's rocky path. Because frankly where is the manual? The much needed manual to life. Well, fret not, for this is my attempt at one and let's call it, because it's fun, a Miran-ual. I thank you.

Miranda Hart is a very popular British comedienne, for those who aren’t aware of her work. Her sitcom has won awards and she is never afraid to look silly. I’m not a big fan of biographies in general, but I like Miranda enough that I thought I would download this from Audible to try out. First I have to say this isn’t a biography or memoir in the strictest sense. It’s written in the form of a conversation between 38 year old Miranda and her 18 year old self. Her older self is telling her younger self some things she wished she’d known when she was younger – including the madness of ‘The Mother’ at Christmas who insists that they play board games because IT’S CHRISTMAS and the joys of working in an office environment especially all those conversations about what you are having for lunch.

Usually audio books take me a week or so to listen to as I’m usually pottering around at home cooking or cleaning at the same time, but I just couldn’t stop listening to Miranda, spluttering with laughter on multiple occasions. From the lies American films show us on dating in the UK to the huge expectations of holidays each year, Miranda reminds us why things rarely work out as planned and shares some of her own embarrassing experiences.

I have a new hero in Miranda! She is fun, thoughtful and honest. She steers clear of any personal revelations regarding her personal life but at the same time is honest in that it is not of major import to her at the moment – her career is. However, she is honest about the type of teenager she was and what she was like at school. The conversation between her two selves was never confusing – and a great insight to how Miranda remembers being 18. Overall there is more laughs than heartbreaks or great revelations here but everything Miranda talks about is true and relatable. This is a great fun read and one that has piqued my interest in certain celebrity books...especially with Christmas coming up! And I think I may have to give this to everyone I know as a Christmas present this year...

Recommended for fans of Michael McIntyre and Dara O’Briain. 10 out of 10  

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if I would enjoy this one. It seems that, especially in stand up, UK and US seem to differ in humor. Still, I'd like to see how it would go. I might have to see if the library has something by her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole "must play board games because it's Christmas" made me laugh. My family have a whole collection of bonkers Christmas traditions so I know how she feels.

    I might get this for my mum now!

    ReplyDelete