Sunday 4 November 2012

My Book Haul/Showcase Sunday

I've decided to join Books, Biscuits and Tea's Showcase Sunday to share my lovely book hauls each week. Have a look back at Vicki's link up to see what everyone is up too!
This week I officially went on a book buying ban! But I did manage to get a couple of books in before the ban started on 1st November plus Netgalley has a couple of fab books I picked up!

Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts #5) - Stacia Kane
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Magic-wielding Churchwitch and secret addict Chess Putnam knows better than anyone just how high a price people are willing to pay for a chemical rush. But when someone with money to burn and a penchant for black magic starts tampering with Downside’s drug supply, Chess realizes that the unlucky customers are paying with their souls – and taking the innocent with them, as the magic-infused speed compels them to kill in the most gruesome ways possible. As if the streets weren’t scary enough, the looming war between the two men in her life explodes, taking even more casualties and putting Chess squarely in the middle. Downside could become a literal ghost town if Chess doesn’t find a way to stop both the war and the dark wave of death-magic, and the only way to do that is to use both her addiction and her power to enter the spell and chase the magic all the way back to its malevolent source. Too bad that doing so will probably kill Chess – if the war doesn’t first destroy the man who’s become her reason for living...

I actually ordered this a while ago when the price was reduced on Amazon...I still have to read books 2-4 in the series but at least I won't have to wait a long time between books!

A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries #1) - Elizabeth Hunter
Kindle Book
A phone call from an old friend sets Dr. Giovanni Vecchio back on the path of a mystery he'd abandoned years before. He never expected a young librarian could hold the key to the search, nor could he have expected the danger she would attract. Now he and Beatrice De Novo will follow a twisted maze that leads from the archives of a university library, through the fires of Renaissance Florence, and toward a confrontation they never could have predicted.

This was free on Amazon and after Kara-Karina's rave reviews of the series I couldn't resist adding it to my TBR pile!

Mr Real - Carolyn Crane
Alix Gordon is a woman who doesn’t take life too seriously. What’s the fun in that? So when she stumbles across occult software that can bring any computer image to life, she conjures up lots of awesome outfits and accessories. And then, on one drunken, horny night, she conjures up Sir Kendall, the sexy TV ad spy . . . who looks exactly like Paul Reinhardt, the super-sexy martial arts teacher who kicked her out of class three years ago. Fighter Paul Reinhardt has good reason to hate Sir Kendall, the character he brought to life to land a part in a TV ad; he’d do anything to forget him. A cross country road trip seems just the thing . . . until Paul finds himself inexplicably drawn to Minnesota and is shocked to discover Sir Kendall - in the flesh - with the girl he’d once loved from afar. He barges into Alix and Sir Kendall’s love nest, determined to stop the madness - somehow. But is superspy Sir Kendall transforming into something more dangerous anyone can imagine? And what will Sir Kendall do when Paul and Alix finally give into their mad lust for each other?

I was very excited to find this on Netgalley. Although I haven't read any Carolyn Crane books yet (But I do own most of them!) which is something I really should remedy. Added to which this looks like a lot of fun and has been getting good reviews so far!

Scent of Magic - Maria V Synder
Publisher: Orbit
As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avery of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avery is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle. Though she should be in hiding, Avery will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.
War is coming and Avery is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.

I love Maria's books so when I saw this on Netgalley I was extremely excited! I'm really looking forward to reading this!

So what books did you get this week? Anything I need to be jealous off? :-)


7 comments:

  1. Hehe ... I like your attitude about "getting some books in" before the ban started! :-D And isn't it a good thing that downloading books from NetGalley doesn't equal buying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth Hunter is so amazing! And I'm currently reading Mr. Real. One day I'll have to read the second book in the stacia kane series. happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your book buying ban- and yay for Maria Snyder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phenomenally good books, Mel! And well done on starting a book ban, we'll have to support each other each week in saying no to new books! :) I hope you like Elizabeth's writing and the rest of your books are on my wishlist as well. Enjoy all of them and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the freebie too :)
    Crane's book is on NG? Oh ..did not know that. I really should check the site more than just every 4th month

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on the 2nd Downside Ghosts book at the moment (and I forgot to include it in my book post today! Whoops!). I really like it, I think it's interesting to have a different sort of heroine.

    Mr Real also sounds good, I might have to look out for that one.
    You can see my book post here.

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Downside Ghosts so I can't wait to see what you think. I went Net galley mad this week and snapped up the Carolyn Crane book too.

    ReplyDelete