Saturday 10 November 2012

Guest Review: Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson #3)

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson #3)
- Patricia Briggs

Publisher: UK - Orbit

Mechanic Mercy Thompson can shift her shape - but not her loyalty. When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to Mercy to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not. Mercy's loyalty is under pressure from other directions, too. Werewolves are not known for their patience, and if Mercy can't decide between the two she cares for, Sam and Adam may make the choice for her.


Hello Mel followers, I’m back because I literally just finished this book, and had to review it instantly.  To those of you whom haven’t been introduced to this series yet, our heroine Mercy Thompson is a fiercely independent skinwalker, brought up by werewolves and now working in a garage she bought from a gremlin.  Yes, these books are as Urban Fantasy as you can get, and as good a read as your likely to find in the genre.

I fell in love with Mercy very early in book 1, but this installment has firmly cemented her, and this series, into my favourite reads.  I think this is primarily because, like Mercy, I HATE being told what to do.  In fact, I will often change my plan simply because someone told me to do something.  In reality I think this would mean that Mercy and I would be either best of friends or mortal enemies!  Aside from Mercy though, the supporting cast are anything but bit-players.  Like Kelley Armstrong, Patricia Briggs manages to create a large cast of well-rounded figures that you really care about, as well as a love triangle that is truly tangled (although, for once, it looks like going the way I want!).

Iron Kissed itself is one hell of a read – by the time the story reached it height I was literally breathless with the adrenaline rush, and had to postpone starting work just so I could finish it.  In the aftermath of Mercy’s deadly dance with fae, humans and weres her emotions were so involvingly described that it had me in tears, and the revelation about an antagonistic side character’s past was well-played.

If you haven’t started this series yet, please don’t jump in at book 3, just get here as quickly as you can…  One for fans of Kelley Armstrong, 9 out of 10.

4 comments:

  1. Hm was it book 4 that made me cry...anyway these are intense and good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series, and I can't wait for more. I'm sure you'll love the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! Just wish there were more of them although I have got a couple of the spin-off books featuring Mercy's old pack. I do agree that they are good for fans of Kelley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series too, you've made me want to do a re-read.

    ReplyDelete